Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Book Meme

Found this over at angelchrys...thought it was a nifty one, so I figured I'd share...

Hardback or Paperback?
Hardback...if they didn't cost so much, all my books would be hardback purchases.

Highlight or Underline?
Underline

Lewis or Tolkien?
Bleh. Neither.

E.B. White or A.A. Milne?
E.B. White

T.S. Eliot or e.e. cummings?
e.e. cummings, absolutely.

Stephen King or Dean Koontz?
Dean Koontz. I think I've read all of one of his books once. But I don't like King much. Not my style.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Barnes & Noble, although you'll usually find me at Borders, since it's closer to my house.

Waldenbooks or B. Dalton?
I haven't had to choose from one of these since I lived in Boston. And then it was Waldenbooks.

Fantasy or Science Fiction?
I guess I'd choose fantasy over sci fi, since I hate sci fi so much. but fantasy isn't much better, to be honest.

Horror or Suspense?
Suspense. I hate gore.

Bookmark or Dogear?
Dogear, for the most part.

Hemingway or Faulkner?
Blech to both of them! How do people not fall asleep reading their books?

Fitzgerald or Steinbeck?
Fitzgerald, all the way. He's a little god on my bookshelves.

John Irving or John Updike?
Irving.

Homer or Plato?
Homer. (he's easier for me to follow, believe it or not!)

Geoffrey Chaucer or Edmund Spenser?
Spenser, I think. Nothing against Chaucer, but the first thing of his I read was The Canterbury Tales...and we had to learn the prologue in Old English, for some insane reason. Put a bad taste in my mouth having to learn lines like, "Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote..." *shudders* I hated that shit.

Pen or Pencil?
Pen. Preferably purple pen.

Looseleaf or Notebook?
Depends on the project, but usually it's a notebook.

Alphabetize: By Author or By Title?
Author

Dustjacket: On or Off?
Off

Novella or Epic?
Novella

John Grisham or Scott Turow?
I don't know who Turow is. But I've read a few of Grisham's books, and they please me a good deal.

J.K. Rowling or Lemony Snicket?
Um, would I ever pick up a book written by someone named "Lemony"? Please tell me these are children book authors, or something? I think I've heard of Rwoling, but I don't know that I've ever read anything of his/hers.

Fiction or Non-fiction?
Fiction...no question. :)

Historical Biography or Historical Romance?
Romance.

A Few Pages per Sitting or Finish at Least a Chapter?
I really feel off if I end my reading for the night/day mid-chapter, but sometimes, sleepiness descends, and I have no choice.

Short Story or Creative Non-fiction Essay?
Short story. I love those things...

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?
Once upon a time, I guess.

Buy or borrow?
Buy. I love owning books. They're some of my favorite things in the world.

Book Reviews or Word of Mouth?
I've read book reviews, and I've torn them out of magazines and newspapers, but I've never bought a book because of them, believe it or not. The last few books I've read have been upon suggestion of my Old Best Friend. She and I have veru similar taste.

5 comments:

FaithsTwin said...

What does "MeMe" stand for? (I like this one...interesting. But I thought the Bro read all the Dean Koontz books...and why would you prefer "once Upon a Time" to "It was a dark and stormy night"? Suspence beats romance ANY day. You read Plato?)

Faith said...

Good LORD, Twin! Back away from the sugar barrel. Slowly...sloooowwwly. Ok. Now, to answer your numerous questions:

A "Meme" is a group of questions that I answer in hopes of sharing a bit of info about myself with the rest of the blogosphere. It doesn't stand for anything, I don't think. It's just that it's all about me. And "meme" is a cute way of saying that. I could be wrong...I'm new to this, remember?

What does it matter that our brother read all the Dean Koontz books? To be honest, I have no idea if I've even read any of his books. (Hence my comment that I think I've read "all of one" of them before.) But I know I don't enjoy Stephen King. So that's why I chose it.

"It was a dark and stormy night" invokes thoughts of a horror to me, rather than a suspense. THAT is why I chose "Once upon a time"...because I hate horror. :) And I agree that suspense is better than romance by far. And mixing suspense with romance is tough to do, but fun to read when it's done well...

Yes, I read Plato. I went to a liberal arts college. And I was an English Lit major. Plato was a part of about 4 semesters for me while I was there. It was lovely.

Anonymous said...

Lemony Snicket is indeed a children's book author - he did the Series of Unfortunate Events - http://www.lemonysnicket.com/index.cfm

It's actually a pen name - his real name is Daniel Handler, who wrote the more adult-oriented Basic Eight, which is actually pretty good.

JK Rowling is the lady who wrote the Harry Potter stuff.

lyn said...

very novel (haha) - a book meme. i'll have to do it later.

FaithsTwin said...

No, not a sugar induced flip out. Combo of diet pills, caffeine and BOREDOM!!!! Anyway, I misread the Koontz stuff, and I had no idea about the Plato- fascinating!