Monday, December 06, 2004

One more for the road...

Ok, I'm tired of working my ass off for the day. Time to have a bit of fun...

So yesterday's flight wasn't my cup of tea. I was scheduled to fly out of OC at 11:20, which was going to get me back to KC by 4:30, in time to head to the Moose to watch the second half of the Chiefs game (vs the Shmaiders) with my friends, and hopefully see them kick some Oakland ass. 'Twasn't meant to be, I'm afraid. We all got loaded onto the plane, and they announced at about 11:45 that there was an electrical problem with the computer on board that helped navigate the plane. Apparently, it had worked fine on the flight in, but it zonked out when they docked the plane at the gate. Ok...we waited to hear what was up. And I had decided to eat when I got to the Moose, so the delay made my tummy start to rumble a bit. They unloaded us from the plane at about 12:20, telling us that they would keep us in the loop, but they expected the delay to last at least another hour. Well, there went the watching of the game with my buddies. But on that time schedule, I would still get in with plenty of time to relax, unpack, and hang out before bedtime. Fine. I went to grab some McDonald's, and then sat down to wait it out. At about 12:45, they suggested that folks might want to schedule alternate flights, and to line up at the desk where they could help us out with that. However, the flight we were currently on was not cancelled yet. That was all I needed to hear. I decided to wait it out. We finally got back on the plane at about 1:30 (2 hours late), and got in the air soon after that.

I hate turbulence. Hate, hate, hate. And there was loads of it heading out of OC yesterday. The winds and the rain extended for a good 20 minutes after take off, and I was just staring out the window willing us to get above the clouds so I could finally relax and read a bit. We finally found the smooth air about 30 minutes in, and I settled down. It was moderate chop...not light chop. And it sucked.

Our descent into KC wasn't any prettier. We were supposed to have clear skies yesterday in KC, last time I checked the weather report. (Which was last Wednesday, but I digress...) So when I couldn't see anything below the plane in the dark when the pilot announced that we were about 150 miles southwest of the airport, I was irritated. Ok, so it was cloudy...so what? It was supposed to be somewhat warmer than it had been when I'd left, and that's all that mattered, really. No. What really mattered was that the fog was thick as shit, and the pilot failed to let us know that he had to circle the airport for a good 20 minutes before landing. So we're crooked in the air, the turbulence is annoying at best, and I can't read to get my mind off of it. (Bouncing + me reading = throw up everywhere. Not good.) Finally we got on the ground, and I was in that sort of mood where I wanted to kiss the ground after we landed, it felt so good to be back on it! I don't know if it's the cold that's doing it, or the fact that I was so disappointed that I couldn't watch the game with my friends...I was just in a weird mood, it seemed.

On a side note, what the fuck is up with the folks that decide the best time to pee is when the plane starts shaking in a moderately violent manner? Ok, yes, I can give it to you that the pilot failed to turn the fasten seat-belt sign back on again, but really. For your own safety and the safety of those around you, stay in your goddam seat until it mellows a bit! Also, if you're peeing, and we hit a pocket of funky air, and the pee happens to miss, and hit the rim or the floor or what-have-you, how's about you clean up after yourself? I mean, gross. Just, come on, really. It's not polite to just leave it there. Duh.

So that's the story of My Flight yesterday. On Midwest Airlines. Because they have only 4 seats across (2 on each side of the aisle, of course), and because on the afternoon flights, they give you cookies. Also, they have direct flights from KC to OC, and that's just a lovely, lovely thing.

Time to head out the do. Peace!

2 comments:

FaithsTwin said...

Yes, I have wondered about those folks who wander at JUST The worst times on planes. They're the ones worthy of my shirt: "I see dumb people." I deserve that shirt and a goooood long look in the mirror for what happened to me today, no? As our older sister said: kharma. It got me!

Did you get my email? I knew you would be busy today. I won't ask why you didn't respond as I meant to say IN the email "I know you're busy..."

Faith said...

No, I didn't receive your e-mail. Remember, the last couple you sent me went to my home address. And my home address is FREAKING OUT lately, so I don't know if I got it there or not. (I tried to check mail last night, and it kept giving me this "pop server is not responding" message...then I would try to load them again, and it would load 20 of 24 messages, most of which are trash, of course, and the last 4 wouldn't load, and then when I tried again, it would start back at loading 24 messages. AUGH!!! It was very frustrating. And all I wanted to do was sleep...)

So try sending one today to my work e-mail, and we'll see if it comes through...