Monday, January 31, 2005

Airborne can only do so much, it seems.

I've had a cold threatening me for about a week and a half that I was staving off pretty well by taking vitamins, taking Airborne, and getting rest. Friday, it was finally telling me that there was no way I could hold it off any more, so when I woke up on Saturday, there it was! It's a mellow cold, it seems. At least thus far. Hopefully it'll stay mellow.

Saturday, I had a friend come over and help me take down my Christmas lights. It had snowed on Friday night, but that didn't stop us. It was weird snow, anyway...started melting by 10 a.m., and by the middle of the day, it was almost gone, even from the grassy areas. So we got that done, and then we (meaning me and my Moose friends) were planning to meet up at a different bar (different from the Moose, I mean) at about 4:30. My bartender friend called me at about 2:30, when I was getting ready, so I called her back when I was done doing my thing. She wanted to tell me about the latest bullshit that's going on in her life (let's see, last week, she lost her job, and then she can't find a job, and then the Harley she owns hasn't been having the auto-withdrawal payments being removed from her bank to pay for it, so she now owes for 3 months, or some shit...I mean, come on!! That's a controllable thing, man! How do you not notice that your motorcycle isn't being paid for when you look at your statement every month? Um, apparently you DON'T look at your bank statements for a few months, is how you don't notice. Dumbass...), and then she asked if I could come pick her up to take her to meet up with our friends.

Now, I knew she was going to do this. It wasn't really a surprise to me. And I figured that I probably wouldn't have to take her home, since it was out of my way, and someone else would be heading in that direction for sure. But I just HATE this reliance she has on the rest of us all the sudden because she's getting shit-faced, and decides the best way to deal with it is to not drive. Of course, I can totally respect her for not driving while she's shit-faced. But here's the deal: How about you DON'T get rip-roaringly drunk when you go out, eh? I know, I know...odd concept, and everything. But maybe you could try not having a bunch of shots while you're drinking vodka drinks, and barely eating any food, hm? Oh, and by the way, the reason you're throwing up every day might not be nerves and stress. It could be that your body is so saturated in alcohol that it can't keep anything down at this point. I don't know...just a thought, really.

I don't know what it's like to be an alcoholic. I went through a period in my life when I was drinking a lot more than I had ever done, but I was in college, I was stressed, and it was never a take-a-shot-before-heading-to-class type of thing. Really it was just a drinking-a-bit-much-after-having-studied-my-ass-off kind of thing, and it stopped after my first semester of my sophomore year. I have family members that have gone through addiction issues, but outside of food and sleep, I can't say that I've ever had any issues with addiction myself. So it's hard for me to comprehend what must go through the mind of a person who wakes up, and is so depressed and irritated with how their life is going that they decide they should start taking shots of fucking Rumplemintz first thing in the a.m. to get them going.

I hate that I can't be more tollerant of her behavior. She's going through a hard time, but she really brings it upon herself. She hasn't been able to get over a breakup that happened over 9 months ago (seems like everything she does is to show him that she doesn't need his ass anymore. Um, yeah...he doesn't care. So let it go...), and then work at the Moose sucked because of management changes, and the things she told me and my other friends about what happened seem like they're being contradicted by each and every other person that worked with her. And they're sober. So I'm leaning towards believing them instead, you know? I haven't known any of them for a very long period of time, but when it's 5 people that work at the same place and have all worked closely with her for the past year or so, and they're all saying that she was fired (she says she quit), and that the shit she said had happened didn't actually happen...well, it's just hard to figure out what direction to think in over all of it.

I have enough drama at work and in my personal life. I don't need drama with the friends I hang out with to watch sports and drink beers on weekends, you know? Gah!

I'm irritable due to the cold, I think. I'd better go before my tirade gets any longer. (Because, believe me, I have even more to say on the subject! Scary, eh?)

No comments: