Thursday, January 06, 2005

Forty. Eight. Freaking. Degrees...

So, last night as I'm finishing up my pre-bedtime activities, realizing that all I need to do is go pee one more time, and then I can head to bed to read for a bit, my power snaps off. And it's not a surge, like usual. No...the power just shut off. And I saw the transformer that was blowing somewhere over the roofline across the street through my bathroom window. Of course, it was just my side of the street that lost the power, but whatever. (My neighbors to the east also lost theirs...I saw their flashlights bobbing around their houses when I checked my backdoor to see if I was alone in my power loss...)

So I finally got my ass to bed after turning off the lights that I remembered had been on, and setting my alarm on my cell for this morning, and calling Dave to see if I could sleep at his house, or if at the very least I could count on showering at his place this morning, but he didn't answer, so I had to leave a message. See, it was 12 degrees outside when I was heading to bed at 10:30. It was supposed to drop into the single digits overnight. That means that my house was going to chill down by morning, fo sho. At 1:30 a.m., I got up and saw that the thermostat was at 54 degrees. Shit it was cold. I climbed back into bed, and slept fitfully until about 3:30. At that point, I didn't even want to get out of bed it felt so cold outside my blankets. But I needed Advil, so I did. And then I ran back to bed, not sleeping well for longer than what seemed like 20 minute intervals, because I was worrying about what the hell I was going to do this morning in order to get out of the house. How do I open my garage? Where will I shower? How late will I be to work? It was all a mess in my head, and my head was very cold, so I just hoped that hypothermia would set in and I could hit coma state soon after.

My first alarm went off at 6, so I went to change the solution in my contacts, and then checked the thermostat, just for fun. I thought it had to have bottomed out at that point, but it was holding steady at 48 degrees by then. SHIT, that is some cold mutha-fucking air, yo! I was freezing. So I went back to bed for 45 minutes, wishing and hoping and praying to my dear, sweet, merciful Lord that the power would come back on somehow before I got up.

It didn't. So I got up, and threw on layers of clothing, and I tried calling Dave again. That didn't work immediately, and I don't wanna talk about what happened, because he was mean, and I cried (due to a partially frostbitten brain, and the fact that I'd gotten very little sleep overall, and I was a bit freaked out about the whole no power thing), and then he realized I wasn't calling to be a pain in the ass, but rather because I was experiencing an emergency of sorts and needed help from a goddammed friend, and then he calmed down, and he told me how to switch my garage to being in manual function, and then he told me he was going to coffee and he would leave the house open and there was a towel in the bathroom hanging over the shower curtain rod that I could use. So there...I guess I did talk about what happened. In a nutshell.

So I showered at Dave's, where the water was oddly lukewarm, but the air was toasty, so I was a happy girl. And he's going to drive by my place later and let me know if the power has come back on (I turned on my porchlight, so it'll be on when the power comes back...), and then he's going to call me to let me know if I need to make arrangements for sleeping/showering again tonight. I would hope he will also apologize for being such a shithead this morning as well, but I'm not holding my breath. He might wind up being way more trouble than he's worth, is all I'm starting to see after this whole mess. I mean, all I did was call him last night at 10:30 (um, still a rather normal hour to be calling loads of people, for chrissakes...), which he said woke him up, and then I called this morning at 7, which is well after when he says he regularly gets up every day. And he got mad at me. That is until I asked him if he'd even listened to the messages I'd left, which he said he did not. I was calling for emergency reasons. And after the pleasant conversation we had last night, I figured we were doing fine in every respect, you know? So I'm ready to let him have it, if given the proper opportunity. If he doesn't apologize, that is. Because that's all it takes with me. Realizing you fucked up is one thing. If you don't say sorry for fucking up, then you aren't a proper human being. And I'm not interested in having to teach a goddammed 48 year old man that lesson.

Anyway, I had a shitty night/even shittier morning, I'm exhausted, and I'm busy as hell because work has kind of been hard to do what with all the weather related bullshit over the past two days. So I've got some catching up to do. Cross your fingers that my power is back up later...I'm so afraid that I'll have to deal with frozen pipes and everything that I don't even want to go home. Blech. The thought of it just makes me so tired...

2 comments:

Julie said...

Ugh...I hate that "too cold to fall asleep" feeling. How awful to have all the anxiety of "what's going to happen in the morning" on top of it, plus a potential bf who isn't showing his potential in a good light.

Drink a nice hot chocolate....

Mark said...

Hmm... Reminds me of when I was a kid living in an old farmhouse. No heat upstairs, so all we had was like 7 layers of blankets & quilts. It was a pain getting warmed up, and just as much to come out from under the blankets once warmed up.

I currently have my nighttime thermostat set to 55, daytime 62. It's worked well so far, but we've really not had a long cold snap.

Fun stuff, winter! =)