Tuesday, January 04, 2005

I like ice in my soda, and that's about it.

We've got an ice storm happening tonight in KC. This is quite a quandry for me, because tonight had so much fun stuff that was going on, and this sort of ruins it. When it's icing, I like to keep my car in the garage, end of story. Ice is NOT fun to have to thaw out from under, and so going to the Moose to watch the game tonight isn't really an option anymore. Nor is going to another bar across town for a going away party that was supposed to happen. I don't even think that going to Dave's house is a possibility, unless he comes to pick me up, and then drops me off tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm not leaving my car out in this for any longer than I have to. Right now, it's sitting on the top deck of the parking garage (the underneath part is for "special" offices in the building, which we are not one of), and I'm prepared to do some scraping/chipping when I leave here tonight. But even that just crimps my brain when I think about it, because I hate that it's sitting out there in this stuff. It's so weird to watch it happen, too. The drops of rain that were falling a little while ago are now frozen to the window of my office, and the three flags at the building next door are frozen to their poles, with just a little bit of fabric left on one of them that's trying to keep a-wavin' in the slight breeze. And while I drive as safely as possible in this sort of weather (stick to main street routes, stay the hell away from the person in front of me...), there are still the fuckheads out there that don't take those precautions, and think they're invincible, and can slide right into someone else if they aren't more careful. So I drive with my eyes peeled, hands clenched on the wheel, going as slow as possible without being at a full stop...ice is just such a challenge. I don't know how to describe it. At least I don't have to get on a freeway in this storm. The last one that happened was a few years ago, and I was about 20 miles from home. I drove 25 MPH on the freeway, thankfully I was not the only one doing so, though. Took me an hour and a half to get home, and it usually only took 20 minutes. It was crazy. But it also happened at the end of the week, rather than right smack in the middle of one. So this sucks...

I also have several people here that are saying that "USC is going down!!" But only 2 people have taken me up on my bets. My Old Boss (who took the 3.5 point spread) and Dave (who I gave a 6 point spread. Because he's nice to me in bed. :)...so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens tonight, boy. I'm very excited about this game!

So wish me luck in getting home and being able to figure out my evening. It's looking more and more glisteny out there on the road as I type. Crazy ass weather...

1 comment:

lyn said...

be safe.

go usc!!!