Monday, February 21, 2005

How long can a spider live on dust?

I have a "pet" spider that lives in my bathroom. It stays out of the way by living in the space where the moulding around my door meets the wall in a very quiet part of the bathroom, close to the floor. I noticed it there for the first time around 3 weeks ago. It was really small then, and it's grown to be about the size of...hm. I can't think of anything to compare it to. Half of a dime, I s'pose? It's small enough that I'd be able to grab it with some toilet paper and flush it without getting icked out.

But for some reason, I haven't done that. I don't know why...maybe I want to see how long it'll stay there? Maybe I want to see how long it can live on a diet of dust, microscopic bugs I can't see, and hair? Maybe I just like to know it's there. I mean, it's been 3 weeks already. How much longer can it go on for?

Last week, as I was drying off from my shower, I noticed the spider crawling towards my fuzzy slippers. I don't want to lose the spidey in my slipper (it's black, and the slippers are black...don't want a spidey in my slipper...), and I wasn't sure if it thought that the slippers were some sort of giant, unmoving bug that it could attack and live off of for the next several months, but I grabbed the slippers just before it got to them, and it freaked out, turned right around, and headed back to it's little established living spot by the door. It entertained me a good deal. It was kind of like we were playing together, if that's at all possible.

So I'll be keeping an eye on my spidey as long as it's around. This next week, I'll be housesitting for my Old Best Friend while she and her hubby head to Cali to visit with her dad. I'm afraid that when I come back, the spidey will be gone. But we'll have to see.

I'll probably be pretty quiet around here for the next couple of days. Going out tonight, and then tomorrow, there's a meeting all day that I have to attend. So happy Monday! See y'all later...

8 comments:

Julie said...

Faith, I think you need a kitty! They are much more fun to watch than spiders--and they'll cuddle with you. (Best of all--they'll take care of the spiders, too.)

Jane said...

Cute!

lyn said...

glad you didn't kill the spider, it's bad luck (hear the superstitious asian woman in me.)

why bad luck? because the word for spider xi zi is very similar to the word for happiness xi xi

so if you kill a spider, you are killing your happiness.

FaithsTwin said...

OMG, the asian thing cracked me up! I know it shouldn't and now I will be tormented with bad chi for laughing, but that's ok.

No kitties for Faith! See past archives about a found kitty in her building at work. And you don't want to know anything about her other kitty she had for a few years back in the late 90's.

zagood said...

I totally believe in the asian theory of not killing spiders. I used to kill spiders all the time, and my life was miserable.

Now I've reformed...I no longer kill spiders. I'm very happy.

Killing puppies is so much more fulfilling anyway.

-z

FaithsTwin said...

=O

mikey said...

i almost never kill spiders. hell, spiders eat other bugs. spiders are just cooler than bugs.

RICANDOLL said...

oooh be careful those things sting! My friend's scar is like the size of a quarter! DO SOMETHING, you're freeking me out.