Thursday, May 12, 2005

Katharine the Great, indeed...

Today is Katharine Hepburn's birthday. We're also coming up quite soon on the anniversary of her death, incidentally, and both of these events usually tend to cause the classic movie channels to have day-long tributes to the actress, to which I say, "Woohoo!" (I personally started off the day with "Little Women".)

As it says on the page I linked to above, she didn't just play strong women, but she also was a strong woman. I idolize her as I get older and older more than anyone else I've ever admired before. The obituary written for her by Joel Ryan (which I found at E-Online) describes her well, has several astute quotes of certain comments she's made throughout her lifetime, and speaks of her "magnificent spirit"...go read it. Even if you think you already know all you need or want to know about her, it will still make you feel good all over for being a fan, if you are one. If you aren't one, then do yourself a favor, and rent a couple of her best flicks this weekend. I'm partial to "Holiday", "Bringing Up Baby", and "The Philadelphia Story" myself. But "Desk Set" is also lovely, and so is "Pat and Mike", and "Woman of the Year". And "The African Queen" has a special place in my heart because I adore Humphrey Bogart so much, and I thought Kate was absolutely wonderful in that movie. If you're not a fan after watching just a couple of those movies, then I don't know what to say. :)

Happy Birthday, Kate. I'll have a martini for you this weekend, and will always think fondly of you as long as I live.

5 comments:

FaithsTwin said...

I wish I liked martinis...only thing I like are the olives IN the martini. I also wish I had cable.

Faith said...

Aahhh...the greatest thing about old movies is they tend to be supah-cheap for purchasing. Check some out...the girls would do well to be exposed to some Katharine and Audrey, on top of their regular exposure to the likes of Nemo and Odd-parents. Think about it...when we were growing up, by the time we were Older Daughter's age, we had probably seen approximately 2 movies made for kids, and about 100 grown-up movies. It's good stuff...

FaithsTwin said...

They don't even have the attention span to watch a whole made-for-kids movie, though. At least it would be something I'm wanting to watch too. A lot of times Maddy gets frustrated 'cause she doesn't know what is making Hannah and I laugh so hard due to her young mind. I also think, god forbid, her humor is less dry and more goofy.

Faith said...

Oh Jeezy...you've got a lot of Jim Carrey rentals in your future, I can see it now. Good Lord, woman! There must be something you can do to train that out of her...Screw "The Fairly Odd Parents"! Get that t.v. set to tune into Bugs Bunny ONLY, stat! Shit...she's going to grow up, and not understand me at. all. I know it.

FaithsTwin said...

Actually it's kind of funny: she fluctuates from laughing and then going, "Whaddya mean?" to complaining that I only laugh at what Hannah says. She'll figure it out somehow. She'll end up with a scewed yet well-rounded humor, IMO.