Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Alternative...to what?

Dear 96.5 The Buzz,

As a faithful daily listener, I am making an open plea to you, and I hope you hear my cry. Please, please, please, please, PLEASE, for the love of all that is good...stop playing Beastie Boys and Red Hot Chili Peppers every GODDAMMED hour of the day!

Tony Ortega, you used to read this, and I KNOW you know Lazlo. Can we lean a bit on the guy? Maybe? I think Lazlo and I have very similar musical tastes, anyways, so if he could just play more of a variety of stuff (they played Echo & the Bunnymen this morning! It was absolute poetry, I tell you...), as opposed to the same ol' shit over and over, it'd be great, dontcha think?

I used to love a good Beastie Boys or RHCP tune as much as the next guy. But at this point, I turn my radio OFF any time I hear one of their songs starting. I cannot be the only person in KC who feels this way. I can't. And if I am, then WTF is wrong with all you people??!!

Alternative music should involve more Radiohead, and Coldplay, and flashbacks to things like Cocteau Twins, The Smiths, and Bjork! Variety! VARIETY IS THE KEY TO MY SANITY!

I like that new Beck song, and I can even deal witht he fact that the Weezer song "Beverly Hills" is as popular as it is. (I don't get it, but I can understand, I s'pose.) But play more Raveonettes! And Interpol! And some gosh darned new stuff from Muse and The Killers! (Have you heard the entire new album from Muse? "Absolution"? Jeezy, that thing is good. Play it.)

It's not like I'm asking for some obscure, random bands to be played. I'm not asking for Kate Bush, or Ani DiFranco. I'm just looking for a little more Bauhaus (or Peter Murphy), or some Ivy, or even some Eels, for cryin' out loud!

Just give my ears a break. Give the Beastie Boys a rest. They deserve it...WE deserve it!

Sincerely,
Faith

11 comments:

lyn said...

damn straight. you should send this to their PD.

Faith said...

Right? All I'm saying is that, if they're playing something so much that I want to change the channel whenever I hear it start, there's a problem. Not that I'm an expert, or anything. But I do like good music. And after about the 50th time in 3 days, any song can be removed from the "good music" list to the "ohmyGOD,makeitstop!" list.

I sent the morning show a brief note this morning when they were playing "Lips Like Sugar", just to say thanks for mixing it up a bit, but maybe I will send something on to the PD. We'll see...

Anonymous said...

I've made the "enough with the Beastie Boys already" observation several times to Lazlo already. Doesn't seem to have much effect.

Tony O.

Faith said...

They're playing "Fascination Street" right now! Why? WHY can't they just play this sort of stuff more often?

Although, rather ironically, today seems to be a Beastie Boys "light" kind of day. So far, anyway.

Maybe if enough of us yell it loudly enough, they'll start to get it. Doubtful, but it's never stopped me from trying before!

Girl From Ipanema said...

Did you send this to them? YOU SHOULD!!!

FaithsTwin said...

I'm sure my Twin is a bit too busy to update, however when I spoke to her about 2 hours ago this exact station ended up playing Bjorks "Army of Me," in which she references not wanting to hear complaining. :

Stand up
You've got to manage
I won't sympathize
Anymore.

And if you complain once more
You'll meet an army of me
And if you complain once more
You'll meet an army of me

Faith said...

Yep...they did. And I wondered instantly if someone was reading this, and telling me to shut it! Heh. I will not.

But I will continue to admit that the day has been surprisingly Beastie Boys free since I posted earlier. Coincidence, I'm sure. But just in case, I'm going to add that I think the Foo Fighters get a bit too much play as well. But I don't want to get ridiculous with my plea. So I'll just leave it at that. :)

Anonymous said...

living in an area where alternative radio sucks and really really shouldn't, i can say that you're blessed to have what you have. i know the buzz and i know they spin some tired old rags, but you have to be fair and remember that not everyone is as fond of 15-20 year old new wave music as you... that stuff's best left where they've put it -- the 'hard drive' program and '90s at noon'. that said, there are certainly excellent new bands they could sub for beastie boys ;)

but how much do you want from a station arbitron ranked 17th in its region *behind* 3 country stations, 2 urban stations (including the long standing #1 Hot 103 jamZ) and a bunch of AM talk and sports outlets?

(link) http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=129&RY=2005&RQ=1&MP=0&OTHER=2&MN=Kansas%20City&MS=MO&MR=29&12P=1540800&UP=4/29/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&SU=CM&BPER=12.5&HPER=5.0&OPER=&NSD=7/29/2005%2012:00:00%20AM&CE=0

FaithsTwin said...

Anon:

I know I don't live in the same place as my Twin but I can safely say they aren't playing new Beastie Boys nor are they playing particularly new RHCP.

I agree what my Twin has requested (Ivy, Bjork, Peter Murphy) may not SEEM new; however, Ivy, Bjork AND Peter Murphy ALL have new items.

So telling her that she is looking for 80's stuff? Well, as much as you were trying to sound like you know what yer talking about, I am here to say welcome to the year 2005! We have new music from bands that made music in the 80's! shocker, I know. Don't go needing a defib on me.

Faith said...

Anon, first and foremost, let me say that it really sucks to live in a town that doesn't have good alternative. It does. We went for many, many years here in KC without anything, and I know your pain, man. But, I'm sorry...in my post, didn't I also mention bands like Coldplay, Raveonettes, Interpol, The Killers, and Muse? And the Twin is right...Ivy isn't old...I've only been listening to them since 1997, and I would *hardly* classify them as "new wave". And the 90's at Noon allows just that - 90's music. Not exactly a new wave explosion, my friend. (And I do like the Hard Drive...which is where I get the idea that Lazlo and I have a similar taste in music.)

If you look back at my post, I was pleading for the constant repeat of Beastie Boys and RHCP to be discontinued. Playing it every now and then is fine. It's just been over. done.

Again, my plea was more for variety than anything else. And the consideration of those of us in the world that actually enjoy something other than the same ol', same ol' all the time. I'm not, by any means, saying that "everyone should listen to the kind of music I want to listen to, mwahahahahaha!" No. I even said that I can understand the need for The Buzz to play shit like that new Weezer song, which I really don't like, but it seems that many folks out there must.

Net/net, I *AM* being fair. Read a bit closer next time, and you'll see just that.

FaithsTwin said...

Hey Anon: I wasn't attacking. Sorry if it felt like I was. But you had your info scewed and in our family you will be pummeled by us. Especially if you read a perfectly understandable post and posted with funky info that really was off from what the original point was showing you either didn't read completely or have the comprehension level of a 6 year old.