Monday, September 12, 2005

Notre Dame, the Chiefs, and Dave's dog

What a weekend. Notre Dame beat Michigan (the boyfriend is a Notre Dame fan, which should make things interesting come 10/15, when they play USC at home...), which was a great way to kick things off for me, anyway. After the game was over, I went shopping (returned some things I bought last week at Old Navy, and bought some new things...), and then I went to the Moose to watch football, eat dinner, and hang out with friends. Not much happened, except the boyfriend's friends showed up after a little while, and we all hung out and drank waaaaay too much. :) It was fun.

The Chiefs were playing on Sunday in their home opener against the Jets, and they kicked some major Jet ASS!! I think that the Jets happen to have an offense that meets up really well with our crappy defense, is all. Made for not only a winning game for the Chiefs, but also an entertaining game to watch. Pennington (the Jets' QB) fumbled the ball, threw interceptions, and had false starts that really looked like it was a circus out there rather than a football game. Foonay!!

Unfortunately, Dave didn't show up to watch the game. It was just me and another guy named Bill that were there, as my other friends were out of town, and weren't getting back until last night. I always worry when Dave doesn't show up as usual at the Moose, but last week when he wasn't there, it was because he wasn't feeling well, which makes sense. But his dog has been rather sick off and on over the past 3 weeks or so. And I thought of calling him yesterday while the game was on to give him shit about not being there, but then to also say that I hoped Sammy was doing ok. But I didn't call, because if she wasn't ok, then it would be totally inappropriate.

So Dave's girlfriend comes in towards the end of the game, and she's wearing the same clothes she had on the night before. Not a good sign. She came over to me and Bill and asked us if we'd seen Dave at all. We said we hadn't, and then she told us that Sammy had died the night before. We'd all been worried about this happening someday...wondered what it would do to Dave to lose her, and how we should react and all that. And it finally happened. Man, I liked that dog more than I like Dave! Ok, you know what I mean, but she was just such a sweetie...a big, old black lab that was as set in her ways as Dave is, but she's always been more consistant with her emotions towards me. So anyway, Dave's girlfriend tells us that she hasn't heard from Dave since about 1:30, and she tried calling him, and she went to his house and he won't open the door (I asked her if she had a key, and she said she'd had one, but she didn't have it any more, and she just looked like that was yet another trying issue that she'd had to deal with over the past 5 months she's been dating him...I didn't pry), and she's worried about him. So we got her a glass of wine, and we talked to her, and about 20 minutes later, Dave called her. He's doing ok, it seems...obviously, he's very sad, but he did come down to join us for a bit after the game ended. We tried to keep his mind on other things. Then I went home. God, he was such a mess....so, keep him and Sammy in your thoughts. She was a good, good girl. And he loved her a LOT. Poor man...

Ok, back to work I go. Hope everyone else had a fun weekend, and that your teams won, etc, etc...

3 comments:

FaithsTwin said...

That's just so sad! Poor Dave...:(

cleverabuse said...

the pet thing is a hard pill to swallow. i have family members that could die and i wouldnt care as much as i would if something happened to my dog

Alisha said...

So I think you can start calling us your friends as well! :-) After all, we were hanging out with you while the boyfriend was working! Besides, I don't just randomly text people, I have to want to put in every single letter one by one, which is very tedious.