Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Ok, a little bit too much going on, so let's just slow it down a bit, alright?

Wow. Interesting past couple of days. Not so much for me, but sort of, I guess. Let's see, my plans for today:

"Work" - of course.
Have lunch with girlfriends.
Win the Powerball.
Clean up the house - it's a pigsty, I swear.
Grab my previously-broken-but-now-fixed-shoe from the cobbler.

Yeah...full day! Especially that Powerball part. I have a feeling that might be more difficult than I give it credit for. But oh well...gotta do what we can to earn a living, right?

We had a tragedy in the family this week. Really, it was last weekend, and it was my step-mom's family, but she's all torn up, and that sucks, so I'm sad. Her nephew (heretofor my "cousin")went to a party at a friend's house on Friday night, I think it was, and a group of people that were not invited showed up. The friend asked my "cousin" to please ask the people to leave, as they weren't invited and wouldn't be allowed to stay, and so he did. The girls that were part of this group of people turned around and walked out the door. The guy that was with them started to walk out, and then turned around, and shot my "cousin" 3 times, killing him. He was 21.

My step-mom, understandably, is devastated. Her brother is a mess, and she's worried as hell about him. The only good part of all this, if there could be any good part, is that the shooter was easily identified, arrested, he confessed to the murder, and he's being prosecuted accordingly. But the family is really torn up over all this, and I feel really bad for my step-mom. They're such a sweet family! Really great people. It makes no sense that shit like this happens at all. Not at all.

So keep them in your thoughts, will ya? Just for a little bit today...Send them good mojo, and all that good stuff. They're in California, so send it in that direction. Thanks. :)

Ok, to lighten it up around here, a little story for y'all. From the way of the coworker. Yesterday, we were talking about random shit, and the subject of learning French came up, because we both studied it in college. I can't remember why we were talking about it, but she said that she wanted to learn French because it was always her dream to move to Seattle and settle there.

*blink blink*

Anybody else wondering what I might've wondered at that point? Yeah, so I said it..."Um, they don't speak French in Seattle. It's in the US." Her logic is that it's close to the Canadian border, and so as she understood it, French was a prominent language spoken in Seattle. My response was, (and keep in mind that I'm not trying to be bitchy, or anything, but just hear her reasoning, and so I can assure you that I didn't ask the following quesiton because I don't know, and I need her to teach me about geography) "I didn't think they spoke French on that side of Canada, though. Just in Quebec, which is on the east side of Canada, right?" No, she said...they speak French all over Canada mainly. Not just in Quebec.

Hm. That was certainly news to me. And I bet it might be news to any Canadian readers I might have. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I don't think I am, which is what makes this so funny to me, but let me know if I'm making an ass of myself, and they actually do speak French in Seattle on a regular basis. You know, because it's so close to Canada and all, and they speak it all over the place up there as their main language.

Dude, the sad thing is? She has two kids. She's teaching them this shit, yo. Freaks. me. right the fuck out.

5 comments:

lyn said...

she's high. the part of canada closest to seattle is BRITISH columbia. I know, I've been there. So, no, there aren't a shit ton of people that speak french in seattle. she needs to get a grip.

FaithsTwin said...

Or she needs to get edumacated. *slapping forehead*

Faith said...

I keep trying to figure out whether or not there might be some sort of secret or small community of French-speaking folks that live in the Seattle area, and maybe that's what she was refering to. But I really think she just thought that they speak French in Seattle. Honestly. My friend Alisha and I have been e-mailing about it this morning, as there's a possibility that she and her hubby might move to Seattle in the not-too-distant future. Synopsis of conversation is as follows:

Alisha: So anyway, I guess I should be learning french in case we move there, on account of it being so close to Canada.
Me: I can help a little. For example, this sentence: "Pardon me, but can you direct me to the nearest sushi restaurant please?" in Seattle is as follows: "Pardon me, but can you direct me to the nearest sushi restaurant please?"
Alisha: Yes, Lloyd's had a difficult time when he's visited Seattle because he stupidly studied German for his trip to Austria instead of the commonly spoken language of French that we use so often here in the States.
Me: Well, we're so close to Canada and all...that really was a poor decision on his part. If he moves to any of the border states, he's screwed. I know, because, as you are aware, I'm from California, and they all speak the ancient Aztec language there, as it is so close to the border of the country where the ancient Aztec peoples lived. And I refused to learn it when I was growing up. I thought for sure it would just go away. So I learned French, in hopes of one day moving to Washington or Montana or North Dakota, and living amongst a people that would accept me as one of them.

FaithsTwin said...

" I know, because, as you are aware, I'm from California, and they all speak the ancient Aztec language there, as it is so close to the border of the country where the ancient Aztec peoples lived. And I refused to learn it when I was growing up. I thought for sure it would just go away."

It just keeps making me cry! lololollll!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been finding almost all of my sushi seattle here