Friday, December 23, 2005

A quiet little place...

I had to come in to work sort of early this morning, due to the fact that I had to drop boyfriend off at his work on my way (his car battery is completely dead...), and he needed to be there by 7:25 or 7:30. So I was driving across the state line in a totally relaxed manner, without any worry of being late, which is a switch for me, as I'm usually about 10 minutes late every day. (You'd think I'd have been able to fix that by the time the 2nd week rolls around, but no...I haven't.)

Of course, it is the Friday before Christmas, which means that loads of people have taken the day off, and thus the streets are quieter than normal anyway. But being out and about that early, I saw a city that runs at a slower pace...one that isn't impatient...one that is enjoying the walk with the dog or the run in the park...one that isn't in a rush to get around the dumptruck that is backing into the construction area, blocking the street we need to drive down to get to work. There's a stone wall at the top of the hill that I drive down as I enter the Plaza where my office is...I noticed the other day that someone must've hit the corner of the wall, as it was kind of piled in a weird way. (The car bumper lying next to it also clued me in as to what might've happened...) This morning, I saw that two guys were rebuilding the wall, and they were talking as they stacked the stones in the new cement they had laid. They looked as though they were having a good time doing their job. It might help that it's about 45 degrees out right now, and it's supposed to possibly hit 60 later this afternoon, as I'm sure they wouldn't have been looking quite so comfy and happy if the wind chill was at 15 degrees, like it usually is this time of year. But it was just nice to see, is my point. It's nice to see people that are happy.

I like the world at this pace. It's comfortable...it's quiet...it's my kind of place. Wish it could stay like this all the time...

No comments: