Monday, December 19, 2005

You'd better watch out, part two

So, the inevitable is upon us. Pepperdine plays KU tonight at 6 CST. (The game will be televised on ESPN2, fyi...) Years ago, one of my KU friends asked me what I'd do if this ever happened. "Who will you root for?" he asked me. I told him that my loyalty lies with Pepperdine, obviously (it's my alma mater, duh...), but I'd be surprised if they won. Either way, I'm happy for them both. The last time they played each other was back in 1996, I think, and this is a good season for them to play each other, as they're both heading into the game with only 4 wins (regular season wins) each. So, GO PEPPERDINE!! And KU! WOO!!!

Boyfriend and I were planning on going to the game, but I told him that if it was going to be on t.v., there wasn't really any point in wasting the cash on it. $20 for parking, and at least $40 a piece for tickets? No point, really. I'm a fan, but not THAT big of a fan right now. I'm more of a fan of money, to be honest. Is that terrible? It is, isn't it? Oh well...

Boyfriend and I actually have this little argument sort of often. I'm a fan of more than 1 school, which can be a bit confusing, apparently. I like all things Pepperdine, for the previously stated reason. I'm a fan of USC football because (a) my sisters went there, my bro-in-law went there, and I wanted to go there, but dad wouldn't let me; and (b) because they kick ass. I'm a fan of KU basketball because when I moved to KC back in 1996, I met and fell in love with the dead boyfriend, and he and all of his friends went to KU. I started watching them play early on that season, and got hooked. I love KU. End of story. I like Notre Dame football for a few reasons now. First, my mother was always a fan, because her dad was a fan. Not sure why. Mom also always loved to root for the underdog, and let's face it, until recently, Notre Dame has been just that for a good part of the last 30 years. Now I have reason #3 to be a fan, which is that the boyfriend is from South Bend, and grew up working at the stadium selling programs during football games. He's a HUGE ND fan, even though he didn't go to school there, and neither did any of his brothers so far. I'm pretty sure his younger brother is aiming to play soccer there when he's in college, which must mean he wants to go to school there as well. But he's only 13, so it remains to be seen, doesn't it?

Anyway, I'm a fan of 4 different teams, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Go ahead, make fun if you will. I'm used to it. :P

4 comments:

lyn said...

you have valid reasons to like each team, you're all good. no need for anyone to make fun of you :)

FaithsTwin said...

No, not over sports. Maybe over ordering 'eggs any style.' But definitely no need to poke the Faith on her sports sitch.

Faith said...

I was 8 years old when I ordered my eggs any style, kay? And maybe I was just ahead of my time, and wanted to give the chef creative license with my breakfast - you ever consider that? Yeah, didn't think so.

And you're one to talk, Miss Rare Ahi Tuna. ("Why isn't it cooked? Oooohhh! I thought that 'rare' meant it wasn't very common!") You were, what? About 19 when that happened? So go ahead. Poke fun at how I ordered food when I was 8. :P:P:P:P

FaithsTwin said...

Rare ahi?... wha?... I have no idea what you refer to Ms. Twin.