Thursday, February 23, 2006

It's a weight loss update. You can skip it, if ya wanna...

I’m finally catching up on my sleep. Thank God! I feel less tired today than I have lately, although I still woke up with a stuffy nose and a bit of a sore throat, so I don’t know what’s going on there. Usually I’m feeling normal and healthy by the time I’m done working out, which was the case today again, so I don’t know if I have a small cold, or if it’s just allergies, or what.
Losing the weight is still slow-going. I’ve upped my cardio to being 40 minutes every day, and this week, in order to make up for the sushi and drink I had on Monday, I’m working out 6 days instead of just 5. And trying to get little extra things in as well…like tonight, with the weather behaving as it has been, my plan is to go home and work in the yard a bit. It looks like shit, and I need to get a feel for how much work will need to be done in the spring to make it as weed-free and pretty as possible. I figure I can spend about an hour out there before the sun goes down, so hopefully I can get some stuff cleared up out there.

Still quite tired of the fact that I’m busting a hump and a half, and mostly getting nowhere. I’ve lost 6 pounds in the past month and a half (it’s been a pound per week, I’ve noticed), and I started measuring last week to see how many inches are starting to come off as well. Although it doesn’t feel like much, really, I know that I’ve lost a little bit of something in my boobs and on my arms. And my legs are all firmed up, so that’s cool. My calves were starting to look floppy a few months ago, and that really bothered me. I’ve always had really nice legs without really trying much, so when the calves started showing the signs of my laziness, I knew for sure it was time to kick it into gear.

I can’t believe that working out as often as I have been and eating as little food (and good for me food, at that!) hasn’t shown very big results at this point! Things used to be so easy when I was younger, and I think its total CRAP that only 10 years later, it’s as hard as it is to just drop a dress size. When I was 21, I was a size 12, pissed that my boyfriend had dumped me partially because of the way that I looked, and decided that I would show him! I went to Jenny Craig, and after just 2 weeks of walking 3 days a week and eating the J.C. food, I had lost 12 pounds. I lost another 5 or 6 over the course of the next few weeks, and then I stopped doing it, as I had gone to a size 8 (which was sort of loose on me, even), and felt that getting any skinnier was not necessary. I kept working out pretty regularly, and ate smaller amounts of food, but I didn’t freak out over the occasional candy binge or McDonald’s detour. I weighed about 132 – 135, depending on the week I weighed myself, and I was feeling pretty snazzy about it. The ex-boyfriend agreed that I looked cute, and slept with me in the back of his Jeep to reward me. Then I was unable to speak with him at all for the next two weeks, and he didn’t call me, and I heard he’d started seeing a new girl he’d met at a party, according to his mother…she was the one blocking the calls, by the way. Wouldn’t let me talk to him. That was ok, though. I went ahead and told her that he and I had had sex less than two weeks before, and totally pissed her off. Heh. =D

Anyway, so being skinny didn’t help me much there, it turned out, and although I was able to maintain the weight for about a year and a half after that, once the boyfriend died in Kansas and then mom died in Cali a year later, well, I kind of didn’t give a shit any more, I guess. I was worrying about other things besides my weight, so I started my ascension to my current weight now. People are right…it DID take me, what? 8 years to get here, so I guess I can’t expect it all to come flying off all at once just because I’m working out 5 days a week and eating less than I have in a decade. But it’s still frustrating, is all. One pound a week compared to the six I was able to achieve 10 years ago is pretty shitty. But that’s a 32-year-old metabolism for ya! It sucks. It sucks ass.

Just thought I’d give y’all an update on that stuff…I don’t really have anything else to talk about today, so I figured this was the next best thing to an actual post. No? Oh well…maybe tomorrow will bring more interesting things my way, and therefore your way as well. Good luck with that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about posting what a work out consists of for you...Love reading your thoughts and opinions. Look forward to each posting...:-)

Faith said...

I walk on my treadmill at a constant pace of 3.0, keeping my heartrate at a "fatburning" pace (which for me at my age is 20 beats during a 10 second interval) for 40 minutes 4 - 6 days per week. After that, I do stomach crunches of varying technique (60 for my upper abs, and 36 for my lower abs...), alternating the crunches with free weight exercises for my chest and the backs of my arms.

On my strength training days (2 days per week), I do a 45 minute "routine" that involves squats, lumberjacks, calf raises, stomach crunches, and several different arm and leg exercises that I do with a "rubber band".

And it should go without saying that I stretch after every workout, so as to promote my flexibility, and make my muscles happy.

That's the basic breakdown of it all. Let me know if you need more specifics. :)

Pensive Girl said...

hey!
hang in there!!! it's not like you haven't seen ANY results. these things take time, especially as we (gasp!) get older..
believe me, i know.
if i miss one workout or slack on eating healthy for a few days, my body shows the negatives. i'd give anything to go back to that younger body and wish i would have appreciated it's reselience more back then.