Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My V.D., the tricks, the risotto, and my heart-shaped ass...

I kind of played a trick on the boyfriend last night. For fun. Because I’m evil like that…
So I finally got out of work at about 5:30, and headed home to relax, make dinner for the boyfriend and I, watch some t.v., and enjoy the evening the way a couple should when it comes to V.D. My boyfriend had set up his homemade card to greet me as I walked in the door. He knows how I hate heart-shaped jewelry, so he made his card (out of red construction paper, no less) in the shape of – you guessed it – a heart! But on the inside, it had a "pop-up" penis that he’d created. And on the penis it said, "Since I know how u love hearts, I thought I’d give you a cock instead!" Under the penis – and yes, I had to lift the paper penis to read this - it said, "I love you with all my heart." But it was kind of hidden, so he’d drawn these big arrows to point it out, and they kind of surrounded the penis, and pointed towards its tip, and the whole thing was just so damned funny, I couldn’t stand it! I’ll take some pictures later, and post them on my Yahoo, so you can see what I mean, kay?

I gave the boyfriend the cologne I’d bought for him from Vic’s Secret (he likes that Very Sexy for Him stuff, and I didn’t mind it either, so I got him a little bottle…), and he was all happy and huggy and shit, and then I told him that I had another present for him, but I wanted to give it to him later. So he gets this look on his face, and starts asking what it is, and probably thinks I’m planning to give him lube or wear cute lingerie or something, but I wasn’t gonna give it away. I told him I would give it to him later, and that was that.

Then I settled in to make dinner. My risotto turned out YUMMY, and although it still had a bit of a bite to it (I ran out of chicken stock, so I couldn’t cook it for another 5 minutes without burning it…plus, eating Italian food al dente is really what it’s all about, eh?), it was still absolutely fabulous. Really. So, sooo good. And relatively easy, too! Lots of stirring involved, but it goes by quickly, I found. Make some yourself this weekend and see what I mean. I used a Mario Batali recipe (found here on Food Network's website) for red wine risotto…I’ll put it at the bottom of this post for those that are interested. Be careful with the portions, though. Half a cup of the cooked stuff (the way I made it) probably has about 300 calories, due to the butter and the starch involved. Oh, and I made it without cheese, of course, and a little bit less butter than it called for (about 3 tablespoons instead of 4) and it tasted fabulous all the same. I did add a bit of salt to compensate for the missing parmesan cheese. Maybe a quarter of a teaspoon worth…not much.

Anyway, the steaks were lovely, and the veggies turned out perfect, and overall, dinner was a success. We watched t.v. for a bit, then the boyfriend went to shower, and after that was all done, I told him it was time for his other gift. This time he asked right out, "Is it lube?" No, I told him. It’s not lube, dammit. So I go in the bedroom and I light candles, and I take off the sweater I’d been wearing to reveal my cute new top that I’d bought (which, of course, my boobs are a bit too heavy for, but what’re ya gonna do, right? I was wearing it for about 10 minutes, tops…), and he walked in the room all surprised. So I climb on the bed and tell him to open the top drawer to my bureau. So he did, and he finds the present I told him about. It was a copy of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Because that’s the next series of books he wants to read when he’s done with the Harry Potter bullshit. Of course, he loves it, and then he tackles me as he laughs about my surprise present, and then I tell him that isn’t all. I pulled down my pajama pants to reveal my new cute underwear that has a heart on the butt, and that set us off again, and it was just a funny night. Funny and fun.

So it was a good V.D. overall. I think the boyfriend was able to relax and enjoy his evening, we slept well after the fun was all said and done, and I am in a wonderful mood so far today. (I say "so far" because it doesn’t take much to push me the other direction…my computer was trying to do terrible things to me yesterday, and if it starts it again today, I’m doing a Hammer dance on its ass.) So go now, and remember to make the risotto this weekend. It’s yummy. Seriously yummy.

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup red wine
3 1/2 cups chicken stock, hot
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for sprinkling

In a 12 to 14-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Once the onions are translucent add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until toasted and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the wine to the toasting rice, and then add a 4 to 6-ounce ladle of stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed. Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Cook until the rice is tender and creamy and yet still a little al dente, about 15 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheese until well mixed. Portion risotto into 4 warmed serving plates, serving with extra cheese.

No comments: