Friday, March 24, 2006

Our new passion...

The boyfriend and I have taken to watching a couple of new shows together. He's not one for dramas, so we don't watch things like "Lost" or even "Gilmore Girls" together. But he doesn't mind "Sex & the City" and he's started watching the reality shows more than he probly would have before we met and started hanging out.

So our news faves are "Project Runway" (to be honest, he often fell asleep during it, only to wake up and make fun of whatever creation Santino or Kara or even Daniel had pulled out of their asses that week when they were being judged...), and now "Top Chef" and the whole "Next Food Network Star", which, let's be honest...they don't become "stars", now do they? No. They become time-slot jumpers doomed to the same fate that Jamie Oliver and Ming Tsai eventually met on the Food Network. I hate the winners of the first season of "The Next Food Network Star" contest. They aren't fun to watch, they don't have original ideas (last week, I caught the end of their show, at which point they were giving the tip of putting your food into a cooler when heading to a picnic...um, DUH!), and they generally annoy me a good amount. They were the number one reason* I was glad I finally found a job, as their show used to air on Fridays at 4 p.m. central time. Now they've moved them to Sunday mornings, and I'm not awake when they're on, so I'm just fine with that. (And for the record, I miss Jamie and Ming. They need to come back from wherever they went...)

Anyway, so my point is that we've started watching "Top Chef" on Bravo. Brought to us by the same creators of "Project Runway" this show has me hooked because of the people they've chosen as contestants, and the fabulous challenges they give to the chefs each episode. Plus, I really, really, really like watching cooking shows. I know that I can't learn anything about how to cook from watching "Iron Chef" - American or otherwise - but dammit, I love to see those men and women hustle and watch them pull together random and sometimes gross sounding dishes in hopes that the judges will tear them apart for their choices of flavor compounds at some point during the show! I get off on the weirdest stuff, I just realized...

So. On "Top Chef". Yeah, there's this guuuuyyyy, named Stephen...and, um, well, I HATE that guy! The other night, one of the other contestants mouthed off to him, calling him both a "tool" and a "douchebag", and I honestly thought that outside of certain boys and girls I went to junior high with, I would never see another person/character in my life that so perfectly fit the definition of those words. Stephen fits them to a "t". I actually had to hold the boyfriend back from throwing things at the t.v. twice the other night while we were watching little blurbs of Stephen talking about the current challenge they had been presented with. This "man" goes beyond asshattery. He isn't quite evil, really...but rather, he's just plain retarded with how he sees other people, it seems. He's beyond condescending, which is where that "douchebag" definition comes in handy, and he told the contestant who called him those names that she was going to "fail...miserably", as though he felt he was God, or something, and could have some sort of power over her in that respect. His attitude, in short, stinks more than the air that comes out of my body the day after I eat a dinner that includes plenty of onion and cabbage.

I know that it seems like the producers pick people like Stephen to be on shows like this in order to draw viewers, but I honestly wish this guy would get dead, or something. There's another bitch that's somewhat interesting and bitchy enough (and we even think she sabatoged another chef's cooking one night by turning down her oven when she wasn't looking...mwahahahaha!!) to keep me interested, so the Stephen guy could catch a horrible, nasty, life-threatening disease that progresses quickly, and keeps him from being able to participate in the competition past the 3rd episode, and I'd be quite pleased. Especially if it's a flesh-eating varietal disease. (Yes...he's THAT asshatish! I've never wished a deadly, flesh-eating disease on anyone in my life! So yeah...you know he has to be bad.) Interestingly, both that bitch and this Stephen guy are both from Las Vegas. Maybe there's something in the water there. I dunno...

So if you have Bravo (which the Twin doesn't, and this makes me ultra sad because I cannot call her to discuss the episodes after they've happened!), then you should be watching this show. And then come here the day after it's on and discuss it with me. I'm gonna start taking notes as of this next week.

Ok, gotta go. I cannot WAIT for this day to be over...seriously...

*Ok, they weren't THE number one reason I was glad I got a job. I needed money. And I was also quite bored. So those things sorta came first. Plus, it was easy to always turn off the t.v. once they'd come on, as it was a signal to me that my drinking time at the Moose had finally come upon me. I DO miss the drinking at 4 p.m. on a Friday that I was able to do throughout the entire month of November. Damn...those were good times.

No comments: