Thursday, March 30, 2006

See, they're dumb in Texas, too!

Schools in Kansas are not alone in their ridiculous decisions to punish children and take away their freedom of expression. Look...Texas does it, too!

When I was a kid, way, waaaayyyy back in the late 70's - 80's, we could do whatever the fuck we wanted to with our hair. Hell, you shoulda seen what the Twin did with her hair most of the time. For example, she used to use pieces of a torn up pillow case in order to curl her hair...she'd take a small strip of the material, wrap her hair around it while it was still somewhat damp, and then go to sleep. In the morning, she'd take her hair out, and it would be a mass of fun curls, all without subjecting the hair shaft to any torture under the deadly grasp of the Curling Iron. (I wasn't nearly this cool back in junior high. I prefered to be fat, ugly, and have the Shittiest, Ugliest Hair EVER until I was a freshman in college. There was a time when I was a senior in high school that it looked ok, but it was short-lived, and I only have one really good picture of myself from that entire time that I'm aware of...)

One day, the Twin woke up and decided that she thought her hair looked pretty cool as is, while it was still wrapped in the strips of pillow case! It was awesome...she went to school with her hair all wrapped up in a torn up pillow case. I can't remember if she took it out halfway through the day, or what, but she didn't get sent fucking HOME for having it done that way! And yes, people did point and stare and ask what it was and all that good stuff, but then they went on with their dull, junior highish lives, and forgot about the pillow-case head sitting next to/across from/in front of them. The teachers didn't give a shit. The kids didn't give a shit. No one CARED, for chrissakes!

I just don't understand what the hell is going on. Why can't kids do whatever they want to their bodies/appearance without being punished for their choices?

1 comment:

alisha said...

We lived about an hour south of that shithole. It's totally tiny and completely out of touch with the real world. When I was in school the boys had the 'side spike', I wonder if that would be considered disruptive nowadays.