Monday, June 19, 2006

Lessons Learned

Match Point. Just...don't. I turned to the boyfriend at one point toward the end and told him that had I seen it in a theater, I would've walked out. Bad, bad, bad...I seriously haven't seen such bad acting since that last play I was in in the 8th grade. Horrendous stuff.

Evening weddings have become more interpretive when it comes to proper attire. My friends that got married on Saturday had the ceremony starting at 6 p.m., and then the reception pretty much started about an hour after that, and while the whole thing was pretty relaxed, I couldn't believe what some people wore! This one girl was wearing pink jeans and pink flip flops. Another gentleman wore a blue polo shirt and some khaki pants. He was with a woman that was wearing what I guess were her nice pants and a blouse. I wasn't bothered so much by her until I saw who she was with. I really think they were prepared more for a picnic than an evening wedding. And while I was comfortable, I still put on a dress, some heels, and some sparkly jewelry, for chrissakes. I guess I'm just weird like that, though.

I really cannot express enough how crappy of a movie Match Point is, honestly. I can't believe I watched the whole thing.

I went to Home Depot yesterday to buy a proper saw, as the boyfriend and I are putting a doggie door in the new storm door we had installed on the back of the house last week. We'd like to encourage the puppy to head out whenever she needs to, and also to help us remain as lazy as possible as we are tired of having to get up and open the door for her every time she needs to (or seems to need to, anyway...sometimes, it's just her faking it) go out. I finally got my ass out of the house at about 4, since I was still kind of recovering from the effects of such a shitty, shitty movie, and decided to hit the 'Po before I went on to the supermarket to do my weekly shopping. There's a barbecue place in the same center with the Home Depot, and holy shit, that place was crowded! As I was leaving the parking lot, I marvelled at the amount of people sitting outside the place, and wondered aloud what the HELL they were giving away there!

Then I remembered what fucking day it was. Der.

See, this is what happens when you live 1,500 miles away from your family, and you send Father's Day cards the week before the day even happens. Once the day actually arrives, you forget that it's a special day. Dad was travelling back to the Vegas house yesterday, so I felt that calling him would be tough as I wasn't sure when he'd be there. Plus, we just talked on Friday, when I called to speak to him about my girlie thing that's happening tomorrow, and he wants me to call him and update him after that, so I figure I'll find out how his Father's Day was when I talk to him this week, and he already thanked me for the card since it got there on Thursday last week, or something. I dunno...we talk maybe once every 3 months on average, so the fact that I've talked to him twice in the past 2 weeks is already weird to me.

But I thought it was funny that it was the barbecue place that was so crowded yesterday. The Red Robin next door was pretty full, too, but I saw people walking over from their parking lot to the barbecue place, so that might've been deceiving, really.

So anywaaayyyy, now I own a jigsaw. Which makes me an even more awesome chick than I was before, dammit. (Not that I'm gonna be using it. The boyfriend started the hole in the door, and the boyfriend can finish it. I don't wanna be responsible for killing my new $300 storm door*. He already put a hole into the rubber thingy that lines the bottom of the door when he was drilling the starter holes for the saw to fit into in order to saw out the top and sides of the hole for the doggie door. So he's well on his way to being responsible for that all on his own, it seems...) I don't really know what other uses we'll find for having a jigsaw in the house, since we rarely put doggie doors into things. Maybe after this, though, we'll find more reasons for using it. Hm. This could be interesting. Doggie door to the garage, doggie door to the front yard...no, no. That'd be a bad idea, wouldn't it? Maybe I could use the jigsaw to cut down the enormous branches I have that fall out of my trees every year that I have to bundle and place at the curb for collection with the trash. Perhaps, at some point, I might have gangrene in one of my limbs, and I still won't have insurance, so I'll need to just lop it off myself at home. What more fitting tool for a limb lopping than a jigsaw that cost me just $29.95 at Home Depot?

And with that, I'll bid adieu. Later...

*To be fair, the door itself only cost about $140. The installation and "delivery fee" are what took the price up to a total of $299. Crazy-ass Home Depot installation fees. Absolutely insane, IMO...

6 comments:

Tony said...

Unfortunately, you got it all wrong. Match Point kicked ass because it taught us that the only thing more important than chubby blondes with big boobs is money. It's a real world lesson that women should take to heart namely that f-ing around can get you killed faster than you can say OJ. So I gotta disagree and encourage you to maybe give it another chance someday . . . It's really a modern day love story about being in love with money. .. Which is the only love that remains unconditional.

Faith said...

Ok, if Scarlet is fat, then I'm more obese than I ever realized. (But I was hoping that some boobies would be shown - I like to compare and contrast, is all - and there wasn't any of that going on. WTF?)

But see, I was sitting there wondering how *the GUY* could be so dumb as he was, thinking that he'd be able to get away with screwing a poor chick on the side and not ever having to deal with consequences. Asshole...

And this is why it's interesting to hear how different the point of view on a movie is from male to female. I was sitting there watching the movie, poking the boyfriend now and then and saying, "Can you BELIEVE how dumb he is??" And the boyfriend was probly sitting there thinking exactly what you thought of the girl...he was awfully quiet when I was saying those things. Hmm...

Mona Buonanotte said...

My friend was all, "Oh you MUST see Match Point, is SOOOO great", and I watched it and, know what? Not so much. Noh. Disappointed at the script/acting. Sounded like they were reading it off cue cards. Husband was only interested in Scarlett's 'nipples in the rain' scene. Bah.

FaithsTwin said...

Scarlett is chubby? wtf?

ANYWAY! You could have rented a jigsaw. Just sayin'.

Faith said...

$29.95 dude. Why would I rent one when I can be the chick who OWNS one? Plus, now everyone on the block can borrow my jigsaw, and when I need to borrow something like a cup of sugah, or $1,000, or what have you, and they start to hem and haw about how weird it is that I would ask them for a cup of sugar like that, I can say, "Dude, I have the jigsaw. You borrowed it that one time, remember? C'mon and give me the $1,000 already!" So yeah, having a jigsaw in my possession will be a good thing in the long run. I can feel it in my bones.

"The D" said...

The only proper attire for a man at a wedding, wether it's in the evening or daytime, and whatever season it is, spring, summer, winter, or fall, is a suit. Anyone that does not wear a suit to a wedding has no class.