Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I am, therefore I be

I just saw this. Why didn't I hear about this before now? Why do I stop reading ESPN.com between football seasons? FUCK!

Ok, new rules for college football play have been put into place. Basically, the clock starts when the ball is kicked off or punted rather than when it reaches the receiver's hands, and also, the play clock will begin after the ref signals "ready for play" after all possession changes.

These rules have been put in place to shorten games. They've gotten too long, and there's fear of loss in interest by the viewers due to the excessive length some games grew into over the last couple of years.

How much time is estimated to be saved by these ground-breaking new tactics? Hold on to your seat...

5 and a half minutes!!!

Calm down, now. Just CALM DOWN!! I know, I know...I was excited too. This means that I will be able to get to so many other tasks that I put off while watching games much earlier than usual, for which I am truly grateful. Starting my laundry 5 and half minutes earlier will be a lifesaver. Getting out to get yard work done that much sooner is really very important to me. Hell, if I happen to throw back a few too many and need to pass out as soon as a game ends, this mean I have 5 extra minutes in the sack! AWESOME!!!

For some reason, this time change rule was the forefront of the article I read on this issue, whereas I would have chosen to report primarily on the fact that instant replay will be put into use this year for all games. Coaches will have one challenge per game, and unsuccessful challenges will result in the deduction of a timeout (although the KC Star reported that it results in a timeout, I figure they were being stupid on their editing on that point, and I'm taking it upon myself to edit accordingly without checking the facts on whether, in fact, unsuccessful challenges do indeed result in a timeout. Because that makes sense. Jackasses...). I've been waiting for this rule to come into play for a long, loonng time, and can't wait to see the effect it has on the game this year.

Uh oh...I just thought about it, though, and it's likely to add a bit of time on to each game, possibly resulting in an extension of the length of time a game is played in! FUCK!! There go my extra 5 and half minutes. Dammit...

One more rule I found interesting. They're making the kickoff tee shorter...it'll only be 1 inch instead of 2 inches tall. They've changed this rule in hopes that there will be shorter and lower kicks for more kickoff returns. I don't know what to think about this rule change yet, but I'm sure I'll have PLENTY of opinions about it once the season starts in a week and a half.

Holy shit! College ball starts in a week and a half. I don't know if I've properly prepared my liver for the onslaught of fun it's about to run into...I need to rethink the next 10 days fo sho. Do I still have a bottle of vodka in the freezer? I think I do...

3 comments:

Heather said...

Yay for college football!!!

Go HUSKERS!!!

BillH said...

What, these morons can't figure out that the reason a game drags on and on and on.......... is because of all the commercials the TV shows them? Heck, I've been to a number of Iowa Hawkeye games and there are too many times during a game that the players are ready, the referees are ready, the coaches are ready, the fans are ready and the ball is ready... but TV has to finish the commercials. Blllleeeeehhhhh!

martinoffroad said...

Maybe they can do something with college basketball now, where else can you stretch the last 2 minutes of a game to 30 minutes.