Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Question of the day...

Q: Will rice cakes blow up if heated in the microwave?

A: Yes. Yes they will.

(For those who are curious as to why one would heat a rice cake in the microwave, it was because I made a mini-pizza out of one with some tomato sauce and soy mozzarella today for my snack. The recipe called for a small pita, but I don't have pita in my house, I have rice cakes. Waste not, want not! I used the rice cake instead, and watched the whole thing real close as it cooked, just in case. It gave a quick "pop!" right as I stopped it from heating, so I was able to avert micro-disaster, but I'm pretty sure had I let it go, there would have been rice cake, tomato sauce, and fake cheese EVERYWHERE in there. Now you know.)

5 comments:

Xavier Onassis said...

I am SO going to try that! I don't even have any rice cakes...I'll have to make a special trip to get some.

But us guys just love blowing shit up.

Heather said...

That sounds a lot more fun than Peep jousting in the microwave. I'm going to have to splurge for some rice cakes.

Faith said...

Yeah, I'd say that it takes about a minute or so of heating up before the danger of bursting sets in. You might put something wet on top of it (like tomato sauce, or something less colorful, knowing what the outcome will likely be) in order to speed up the process, but I'm not sure it's required. It'd probably blow up just as quickly and efficiently without anything on top, now that I think about it.

Anyway, have fun! I don't know if it's more fun than blowing up Peeps, but it sho is different!

Pensive Girl said...

i've always wanted to heat rice cakes up. but i read on the packaging that it says not to. it's a warning label on my cakes. so, i'm guessing other people have tried this unsucessfully, too.
:)

Faith said...

Aahh...yes, reading the package might've been a way to answer my questions right off the bat. I prefered to go the experimental route, it seemed. Not that I did it on purpose, really...the thought of the exploding potential didn't really cross my mind until after I'd gotten to work yesterday morning. See, I should've known to ask Jessi!!! :)