Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Boring one...

So I busted out my early-morning trips to the gym right quick this week, and now I just have to work out on Friday night and Sunday to finish off my workouts. Thursday will be a bonus day, as I just got permission from my coworker to take the afternoon off to complete the deck-staining project I've been needing to finish for a couple of weeks. It's been kinda drippy and cool in KC for the past week, and I'm hoping that tomorrow's sunshine will help dry out the deck so I don't just seal moisture into it when I stain it Thursday afternoon. It's supposed to be sunny then, too, so hopefully it'll dry enough by the time the sun goes down that any morning dew that occurs on Friday won't have an effect on it. The fact that it's supposed to rain again on Saturday and Sunday has me pretty well pissed off, but what can a girl do? I'm lucky to be at a job like I am where I can take random afternoons off like this.

I'm thinking that it was stupid of me to wait for the heat of August to pass by before I got the project started though. My own fault, really. But it will be very nice to be out there in 80-degree weather instead of 100-degree weather finishing the deck off, that's for damned sure.

Last night, the fiance and I met with a priest at a local Catholic church that seems willing to marry us. He said he had no choice...if he's being asked to marry people, he does it! I thought that was an awfully generous attitude for him to have. I guess I really only contacted one church that had difficult rules about who could be married there, so it's weird that I'm surprised to find other churches (especially big, historic ones) as willing to help as they are. I'm weird, though, so that makes sense. Anyway, that one church that had such stringent rules was a dream church for me, and I guess I'm just sad that they weren't willing to marry a Catholic couple that wanted to get married, as long as the date was available and all. The priest there told me that they had far too many requests for marriage ceremonies there as it was without going outside of their parish boundaries. I find it hard to believe that they have THAT MANY parishoners getting married every year, but whatever. If the Cathedral downtown marries people outside their "boundaries" then other churches should. Hell, there are even ways for people to get married at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris!! You don't necessarily need to live in Paris for it to be allowed, either. I guess I'm just bitter, or something.

Doesn't matter. The church we will be getting married at (Redemptorist at 33rd & Broadway in KCMO) is beautiful, huge, historic, and accomodating, dammit. That's all that matters.

Outside of working out, coming to work, and dealing with wedding plans (heading to another venue in a few minutes to look it over, actually), I don't have much going on. Football on weekends...that's going on. Drinking lots of beer WHILE watching football...that's going on as well. Ooh...and we might have a chance to go see the Notre Dame/USC game in November, if the guy I was chatting with at the bar this past weekend was on the level. For free, no less. We'd have to pay for our flight out there, of course, and it'll be a short-ass trip too, but still...going to see Notre Dame play USC at the Colliseum? Are you kidding? Yes please...

Ok, must run to that appointment. Later, suckas...

3 comments:

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

ohhhh...beautiful church...i work just down the street from it! my brother and his wife had issues w/ getting married in a church (and that was in small town iowa) and they're not even catholic...they just wouldn't marry them because they'd lived together. stupid.

Faith said...

I was worried that we'd hear a bit about that from the priest last night, but he barely flinched when we said our address was the same, and when I mentioned it later in the conversation as well. It's just so common these days for couples to live together before they get married, you know? I think this church is probably a bit more contemporary than most Catholic churches...I read in a recent local edition of "The Knot" about a couple that were of mixed backgrounds (she was Catholic, he was Jewish), and they had both a rabbi and a priest on the altar performing the ceremony at Redemptorist! Very cool...

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

that is very cool....enjoy all the planning - even if it stresses you out a bit...it's all worth it to be married to "the one" in the end...i'm sure it will be a beautiful ceremony!