Thursday, September 14, 2006

I wanted it to match my hair...

No, XO...the statement I made earlier today about leaving work early so I could stain my deck was not a shitting reference. (Smartass.) Sorry. I actually did need to stain the deck. Haven't done it for 2 years now, and it was looking really bad. See the before picture:

Yeah, told you. Obviously, we tend to walk down the middle of the deck only around this house. So we picked up a stain a couple of weeks ago at the local store that carries Benjamin Moore paint. The fiance has heard it's a really good brand, and we thought it prudent to go ahead and pay an additional $5 a gallon more for something that might do a better job of protecting the deck over the next couple of years. I picked out a color that I liked, but they didn't have the proper type of base in stock. We wound up going with a semi-transparent base, and chose a color called "Sweet Rosy Brown." After I started staining, though, I decided it has been mis-labeled, and changed it's name to "Sweet Mother of God, My Deck is Purple."


See? Great, huh? (This picture doesn't really do it justice, though. Just so you know...perhaps I'll have a Purple Rain Deck Party in the near future, and I'll invite you all so you can see what I mean about it being purple. Because it's purple. Mother. Fucking. Purple.)

Here's the stain I used:

And I think it might be the same "stain" my hairdresser used on my hair before I went all highlighted and shit...
Our deck is purple. I'm gonna see how it looks in the light of day after it's dried another entire day (i.e. tomorrow) when I get home from work, but just know that it's purple, it's gonna fade into a slightly lighter purple, and we have a purple fucking deck.

Don't you wish you were us?

For the record, I really love the color purple (heh)...just not so much on my deck. Call me strange, if you will. I don't mind.

6 comments:

Heather said...

You can always tell people it was deliberate, and you are a K-State fan.

lyn said...

I like it. but then again my favorite color is purple.

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

not that you want to spend MORE $$ on it but you could always tone it down w/ a less expensive BROWN and ONLY BROWN stain...if it doesn't fade...boy is that one grape ape of a deck.

FaithsTwin said...

aaaahhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! Oh my that is filarious! Sorry- what is family if we can't have a laugh at each others expense when it is much needed, eh?

Faith said...

Unfortunately, I'm not a K-State fan, though. So that won't work. (Especially when I put my USC bbq cover on the grill in the winter...)

Also unfortunately, you can't put stain over stain. I'd have to completely sand the entire deck and start over if I decided to do another color. And that ain't happenin'. In fact, in order to do 2 coats, I had to do it all in 2-board sections, so I could be sure to go back over the first coat while it was still wet. That's how stain works, apparently. It was news to me, too.

I think that what we're going to do is buy another gallon, and paint the spindles so they match, which wasn't the plan in the first place because they don't need touching up just yet. We'll see. The fiance offered to do the spindles (he called himself "The Spindlemaster"), and even pay for the extra can of stain, even though I was the one that chose the color (yes Twin, there were swatches to look at...but it's not like dealing with paint on white walls...one has to be prepared for what will come out on their deck depending on the color of the wood...this was just a bit different from what I expected my wood to do, is all), which I think is very sweet of him.

Overall, I find it funny. The wood is protected from weather, and that's what matters. I don't often have people over, and my neighbors shouldn't be looking at my deck anyway, so it's their own damned fault if they don't like it. I'll have it professionally done before we move out when we sell it in two years, and in the mean time, we have Purple Deck Syndrome. That's just fiiiinnne....

Heather said...

It could be worse. You could have a Titty Pink deck with large brown spots.