Thursday, October 19, 2006

It was a rock lobstah!

Ok, so the other morning, when I was trying to stop crying at the gym, my trainer said something that made me laugh, and helped a lot with the crying issue. I'm not sure if he did this on purpose, or if the moment was just well-timed on accident, but it worked out very well.

The B-52's "Rock Lobster" was playing over the sound system, and he stopped writing to tell me, "You know, I always thought this was a fake song, until I heard it being played here at the gym one day." I looked at him through my teary eyes, cocked my head to the side and said, "Huh? Why did you think it was fake?"

He explained that the first time he heard it was on Family Guy, you know, when Peter was playing his version of the song (this link leads to a website that just starts playing the song without you clicking on anything to control it, just to warn ya...also, it's not the actual clip from the cartoon, but has slowly changing screen shots from it instead as Peter sings and plays guitar...) on his guitar to try to help cheer Cleveland up after he'd found out about his wife Loretta sexing it up with Quagmire. And he thought it was a song that Family Guy had made up.

See, this is the reason why some people enjoy Family Guy more than other people do. I get a LOT of the references that Family Guy makes to past pop phenomenons, whether they be based in t.v., music, or some other medium. Maybe I'm at a good age for it...I dunno. But my trainer, being only 25, might not understand when shows like Family Guy reference stuff from The Partridge Family, or The A-Team, or a fucking B-52's song.

It really cracked me up. I could just picture him there, recognizing the song as it played over 24 Hour Fitness's sound system, and wondering where he had heard it before...until the realization came to him that it was from hearing Peter Griffin singing it to Cleveland to cheer him up.

My favorite part is when Peter sings the "rock lobster!" part in the higher voice, like the lead singer from the B-52's did in their original version. Fucking funny as hell.

1 comment:

Deven said...

Hey Great Blog. As much as Family guy used to rock in the first few seasons, it is getting down every season with same stale comedy and jokes. IMO Souht Park and SImpsons are also going down the hill.

Anyway for those who can not download Family guy from torrents and are looking for all Seasons of Family guy, they can download it from here -

http://www.mwolk.com/tv-shows/family-guy-season-1
http://www.mwolk.com/tv-shows/family-guy-season-2
http://www.mwolk.com/tv-shows/family-guy-season-3
http://www.mwolk.com/tv-shows/family-guy-season-4
http://www.mwolk.com/tv-shows/family-guy-season-5

Hope this helps others.
Cheers