Monday, October 09, 2006

Vegetarians beware...

I'm in the mood for chili and cornbread this week (and it seems the weather will be hitting the perfect place for it, too!), and so I picked up a package of the Jiffy corn muffin mix at the store yesterday. As the fiance and I made dinner last night (made red beans and rice last night...chili will be tomorrow night, I think), I was showing him the cornbread mix and discussing how to make it so it's not too dry. (When I asked him if he liked cornbread, he said, "Yeah, as long as it isn't dry..." So I need to figure out how to make it un-dry. His advice? "Follow the directions on the box." Um, thanks hon. Don't know why I didn't think of that! :P)

I'm not sure why I looked at the ingredient list on the box, but I saw that the first ingredient in their mix is wheat flour. Awesome...I always like a wheat product if I can get it. But the next ingredient? It's some sort of animal derived fat - either lard or something like it. And for some reason, this completely shocked me! I didn't know that box mixes could have animal fat inside of them. Back when I was a vegetarian (RIP January 2000 - April 2000) for a short time, I wouldn't have thought to have checked on something like that before making it, I don't think. I wasn't hard core, or anything, but I wasn't eating any meat other than fish, and I'm pretty sure that any kind of lard was right out.

So I thought I'd go ahead and offer a public service announcement to all you blog-reading vegetarians out there. Check the ingredients in those box mixes before you make/eat them! Deceiving little buggars...

**************************************************
Not much going on this morning. Really, really hating having to come to work these days. I imagine it's a mixture of things stirring that pot inside my head/belly/ass, but the basics are: I want to wear my pj's all day long, I don't like the way I'm being treated by some folks at my office, and I don't want to leave the house when it's all gloomy and fall-like outside. I kind of hope we have a lot of snow days this year...the fiance hates snow, but I really need some of that extra time off right about now, it seems. *sigh!*
The deal is, it's clear that I'm stressed about stuff. What stuff is not clear. But the way I'm behaving/reacting/melting down on a regular basis as of late makes me think that something is outta control in my head. And if I only had the resources to obtain a therapist, it might be a good time to get one! Unfortunately, I do not have those resources, so I'll need to just sound it all out on this here blog, keep talking to my friends and family about the issues when I can/when they can offer me advice or help, and keep on being and doing as I always do, I guess!
Now, I must go pee. And maybe go and get a Big Diet Coke at one of those places that are licensed to give out Big Diet Cokes at their places of business. And then I will eat lunch. And then the day will just go on from there, I s'pose. Bleh. Happy Monday to the rest of you...clearly, mine wants to just fuck right off...

4 comments:

lyn said...

a trick for the cornbread. if it calls for water to mix in, split the amount with half water, half milk. (and not skim, at least 2 %)

your new found health insurance doesn't cover therapy? that's a bummer. everyone needs therapy whether or not they think they do.

hope your monday ends up on a brighter note!

Faith said...

The Jiffy mix calls for milk and 1 egg, but I'll be using Silk. Since I'm non-dairy and all. :) I'll let you know how it turns out...

And no...I don't believe the health insurance covers therapy, but that's a whole 'nother post all in itself, really. Basically, I have a high deductible plan anyway, so I'd have to pay for therapy for half a year before it'd be covered, I'd think. And by then, I'd probably only have 3 sessions that'd be covered over all anyway! (Don't most plans only cover 9 sessions with a therapist? That's how all my old plans used to work...)

Also, my participating provider list for doctors that are in my plan? Yeah, I live in the largest county (I think it's the largest...) in Kansas, and it has one of the shortest lists of participating providers in the entire plan. There are only 18 doctors on this list, if you can believe it. I do see that there are 2 psychologists on there, though. So that's nice of them. But get this: there are NO OB/GYNs on the list. I have to go to fucking Lawrence in order to see an OB/Gyn, I think. And I'm not doing that...

Lately, the brightest part of my days have been my workouts, seeing my fiance, and sleeping. Oh, and football, of course. Gotta love the football.

I'm sure things will get better soon. Usually for me, when work sucks, most everything else does as well.

Xavier Onassis said...

I think my ex used to combine the Jiffy cornbread box with a Jiffy yellow cake mix box. That made the end product not so dry.

At least I think that's what she did.

I wasn't really paying attention. I sort of lost interest after the first 8 or 9 years.

lyn said...

i am with an hmo and they cover 12 visits a year. so i am lucky then?