Monday, November 20, 2006

N-o-t-h-i-n-g spells "bored"

I don't know why I'm even working this week. I guess I'm getting some stuff done, but it feels weird to me. Like I'm stretching out the inevitable. I'm glad I AM working, don't get me wrong on that. But it just seems strange. Probably because of the short week and all. Or maybe because it's been almost 4 weeks since I got fired. That could be it.

Had a TERRIBLE nightmare last night that I've been trying to figure out with the help of some websites. Basically, there was a demon dog in it, I was taunting said demon dog even though I was terrified of it, and at the "end" of the dream, the dog had caught up my left hand in it's claws and was removing the fingernail from my middle finger. That's when I woke up. I couldn't go back to sleep, even though I was exhausted, so I tried to get the fiance to come to bed with me (he has the day off today, which meant he could stay on the couch and "watch" t.v. for as long and until as late as he wanted last night...), but he wasn't in the mood to go to bed, so I wound up sitting with him and the dog (who I didn't want near me after my scary dream, oddly enough) watching "Young Guns" on the TiVo. After about a half hour, I went ahead and went to bed again, and I was successful in getting back to sleep, thank goodness. But it sucked to have that dream, that's for damned sure! I'm sure it just has to do with the state of flux I'm in right now, or whatever. But I'd prefer not to have any more like it this week, if possible.

At one of the interviews I was at last week, I talked to the lady that was interviewing me about how I plan on managing property some day. It's what my father's done all my life (and most of his), seems like something I'd really enjoy, and I look forward to being a part of the commercial property world on the ownership side of things. I told her this so that she would tie together my interest in continuing to work in commercial real estate in some form or another, and also so she would have an idea of where my interest in this particular field came from. She, however, interpreted that as me saying that it's what I'd prefer to do...you know, instead of being an admin for the rest of my life.

Ok, first of all, I don't plan on being an admin for the rest of my life, no. Will I wind up being one for a good long time to come? Probably. But when I talked to the placement agency rep that is managing this account (she set up the interview, is their contact for the second interview, etc...), and she told me that this woman had a problem with me wanting to manage properties someday, I was all, "So, I can never be a property owner? Is that the case? Because, hate to say it, but I'm going to be one relatively soon, and if that isn't something they'll allow me to do, then this won't work out. Does she know I own my own home and manage that property already?"

I mean, WTF??? I can't manage property AND be an admin at the same time? Whatever. Property management relies heavily on two things: a responsible owner who leases the space, manages the leases of said space, and maintains the property; and a property owner that has a talented individual or team of individuals to monitor the properties and is able to fix certain problems that come up or contact contractors who can do it for them if it's outside of their realm of expertise. Just about all of the properties my father owns in Riverside, CA are farther from his home than is reasonable for him to be able to manage them all on his own. Dad always had a guy who drove around to the properties, monitored them, made sure they were all ok, and contacted dad whenever he needed to take care of something. That was the guy dad called when a tenant called the office first to report an issue. Sheeit. I mean, I really hope that property management will be a lucrative means of making a living eventually, but I certainly can't do it right now (um, unless someone has $20 million they can give me so I can buy some property I'm interested in...no? Ok then...), and it's not like owning one property is going to completely consume my life once I AM able to buy something that I can afford.

Some people only see the teeny, tiny picture I guess. Me? I try to look at the picture from ALL angles before coming to a conclusion or hypothesizing about an outcome.

This was a good weekend, overall, though. Football was fabulous!! This week, we're looking forward to cooking a little Thanksgiving feast for two and then watching more football that night, and I'm looking forward to having 4 days off. Oh wait! I have an infinite amount of time off, actually! Aren't I the coolest...

4 comments:

Xavier Onassis said...

This demon dog of yours...how many heads did it have? Three heads or just one?

If it had three heads, you've got yerself a genuine hell-spawned beastie coming in your dreams to steal your eternal soul.

But if the demon bitch only had one head, don't worry...that's just my ex-wife.

Ignore her and she'll go away.

FaithsTwin said...

Xo!!! You kehawl me! Funny shtuff man.

I had a dream last night that there was a spirit of a little girl trapped in this couple's home (I have no idea who the couple was) and I had to help them try to figure out how to help her get to Heaven. So I was doing my thang and eventually they had some peace. But then it turned out to be a deceitful male spirit who was actually evil and then I woke up.

Could you keep your evil to yourself? I would appreciate that!

Heather said...

I'm sorry Sam is terrorizing your dreams in the same manner he is terrorizing me in real life.

Xavier Onassis said...

LOL!

Ya know, I don't believe in any supernatural stuff.

But I did date one medium whose "powers" I respect. I don't know how she comes by the information she recieves, but if she tells me something...I listen.

Also worked with a woman from New Orleans who was steeped in the hoodoo ways. Our boss pissed her off once and was shortly thereafter diagnosed with a lifelong dibilitating illness. My coworker smiled a lot after that.

There are a lot of things I don't believe in. But I don't go out of my way to piss off those that do.

I'm just sayin'.