Monday, July 09, 2007

Weird...I can't put a title on this post. Huh.

Ok, WHY do guys think it's ok to clip their nails at their desks? It's right up there with hocking a loogie into your trashcan, ok? Maybe you were raised in a barn and were taught that everything just gets covered with the hay anyway, but in case it wasn't something you'd noticed, there's no hay in the office! It's not cool, ok? Fuck!

I mean, I'm not over here painting my nails, and shit. I only whip out the file when I have a snagged nail that needs to be tended to for the time being, until I can get home and file everything accordingly. And obviously, filing my nail really only effects the carpet or trashcan directly below it, you know? Clipped nails can fly all over the fucking place, which is just not sanitary. BLECH!

On to the real post, for cryin' out loud. (Gaaww-dammit.)

Does anyone else get a really, really, really full feeling from a bottle of V8? I drink one now and then with my lunch instead of eating a salad, and I noticed that it really fills me up. So I was just wondering if it was me or if it happens to everyone. Not that it matters at all, I guess. Ok, stupid topic, so let's move on...

This morning as I got ready for work, I saw a funny little news item on the local morning show that intrigued me a bit. It seems that Sprint is opting to drop 1,000 of its customers due to their inability to satisfy said customers with their products and services. Since Sprint is a local company, I suppose that's why they're reporting this story on the local news, since I don't see it as general public-type news as of yet on the web. I only found a few stories about it, and they're all scewed stories, to say the least. (Apparently the writers of said stories are or have been customers of Sprint, and are less than pleased with their customer service history with the company. That seems like a conflict of interest sort of thing to me, but whatev...)

Here's the deal: Sprint is dropping these customers due to their inability to satisfy them. They have sent them letters explaining the situation, and telling them they have a month to find a new carrier and have their number switched over before they will inactivate their accounts. They are NOT charging them the "early termination fee" and they are apologetic for not being able to give them the services they need.

A lot of people are all gung-ho about complaining about Sprint in the stories I've found regarding the sitch. I thought it was a funny story when I saw it this morning (but unfortunately, I can't find any info on it on KMBC's website now) which is why I followed up with the research when I got to work. See, here's what struck me about the report I saw on the local news:

- The customers that are being "dumped" are extremely problematic to the company's customer service commitment. How? They are calling the customer service department 25 - 300 times per month. Now, I can understand calling once a week, maybe. So that'd be 4 calls per month...heck, I recently did it to that company that I thought jipped us on the part we needed for our umbrella that matched our little bar set for our deck. But how does one call a company's customer service department 300 times per month? Think maybe they're devoting a bit too much time to contacting them about their issues? If I had to call a company that often to get help, I think I'd go ahead and cancel my service with them. I mean, who needs that kind of aggro?

- The media thinks this is a funny thing for a company to do, particularly when they've lost some 200,000 customers during the 1st quarter of the year. (Funny thing is, the media fails to mention how many customers the company picked up during that same period. Hm.)

- Sprint has a customer base of over 53 MILLION customers at this point in time. The 1,000 customers they chose to "dump" were tying up customer service agents that can better devote their time to other customers who actually might be able to be helped when it comes to the issues they have.

I have been a Sprint customer for over 7 years now. The coverage has only improved during that time, and I didn't really have a problem with it before it started improving. (When I lived in Northern Cali in 1999, the phone didn't work in my apartment. But the only person who called me on it was my boss/bro-in-law at the time, and I didn't really need him to be able to get a hold of me at all hours, to be honest. Plus, he had my landline number, so it was his own fault for not putting that in his phone when he really needed to get a hold of me...so it wasn't ever a problem for me, per se.) Ever since I moved to KC in 1996 and my sister said something about using Sprint for long distance on her landline at home since they were a local company, I've always stuck to that line of thinking. And even though the company is based in Kansas and Virginia now (since the merger with Nextel), I still support them. Besides, like I said before, I've never had an issue with them.

Anyway, I thought it was funny that the news is as scewed as it is on the topic. Particularly when they're talking about a local company and all. I've found a couple of write-ups on the plan online, even though I can't find anything from KMBC, where I originally saw the info being reported. Here's a point of view that isn't as emotionally scewed as some others I've found. Here's the original story that popped up in my search, which I think has the most entertaining comments left by the usual conglomoration of idiots that don't know what punctuation or proper grammar and/or spelling is, thereby making their comment more illegible as well as more irrelevant.

8 comments:

Coley said...

You know, back in my customer service days, there was all this talk about it being the era of "dump the customer." The idea being, get rid of the few idiots who cause more than their fair share of problems, freeing up the customer service folks to help the larger population.

I guess I don't see the big deal. Get rid of a few problem-makers and be able to service MILLIONS in a more timely way.
But I'm also one who makes at most 3 phonecalls about a problem before I get rid of the service. 300? These have to be old, retired people whose children don't visit.

Faith said...

It has to be a money thing, too. In the comments for one of the stories I was reading, people were mentioning the whole deal about how it's the people who have plans that cost them $30 a month that complain the most, and once a company hits the $100 mark on having to try to deal with their customer service issues, they might be thinking, "Yeah, we don't want you for a customer anymore. Bye!" And I don't blame them one bit for that!

I'm a cheapo customer as well...I have a plan that allows for a LOT of texting, but a relatively low amount of daytime minutes, and I try to make my phone calls from work (heh) or after 7, so I have unlimited minutes. Works ok for me! I pay about $40 a month after taxes. But I can't even remember the last time I had to call customer service. Maybe the last time I changed my phone plan? Yeah, I think they tried to charge me some fee for changing things, and I told them I didn't think it was the right thing for them to do, and they put me on hold, and then when they came back, they said they'd waive the fee and not to worry about it. You know why I think they did that? I think it was because I don't call them 300 times per month, and I pay all my bills on time!

I so rock.

emawkc said...

Re: Clipping fingernails... That's why I chew my fingernails rather than use clippers.

Re: V8... I used to drink this stuff until someone told me how much sodium it has.

Re: Sprint... I think Sprint could have done a better job of doing this. Now, it looks like they don't value all of their customers.

But if they would have said something like "You seem to be having a hard time with us. Since we want you to be happy, we're willing to waive the early cancellation fee if you want to go to a different carrier"

And they should have done it over the phone, not in a letter. Regardless, it was a pretty boneheaded move in my opinion.

Faith said...

I just think the media reporting of it has been skewed in a direction that seems a bit more biased, is my deal. I don't know that Sprint handled it well or not, really. We'll have to see over the next few months if this was a good idea. (I sure hope this doesn't effect my cell service in any way! I like it the way it is, dammit!)

One comment mentioned the timing of the move being a bit poor, what with AT&T being on a high right now with the additional sign-on of over 700,000 users thanks to the iPhone and all. I thought that was a tremendous point, and wondered if it was something Sprint even considered before they made a move like this. Maybe they should have waited a few months?

Makes it seem like they are saying the couldn't care less about the competition...here's how THEY'RE gonna do business, dammit!

I almost see it as them hanging up their sign for the whole world to see..."We reserve the right to refuse service..."

Alicia said...

I'd be thrilled if I got a letter from Sprint of the sort, but at the same time I understand why they're doing it. Sadly, I have been in a situation with them where I'll call to have a billing error corrected and get hung up on, over and over, so within an hour there's over five calls. But 300 a month? wow. I would've left of my own accord and paid the fee if it was that bad. Sheesh.

Nightmare said...

NO. Cal in 1999? Chico State Rocks!

Faith said...

Ah, sadly, I was a career woman by that time, Nightmare. In fact, I had been for about 4 years by then.

Holy crap, I'm old...

Shea said...

Totally unrelated to Sprint - I too lived in Nor Cal in 1999 (well, I am kinda known as A California Girl in Kansas). Came here from The D's blog- he's such a great promoter of his blog friends. Any girl who blogs about bathroom behavior is worth reading on a regular basis. :)