Friday, February 01, 2008

Calming the belly...

Years ago, when I first moved to Kansas City and experienced my first, real live winter experience, I kinda freaked out a bit. Mind you, it wasn't the best year to be thrown into the wonders that the midwest has to offer, as that was the year of the October ice storm, but everyone knows that being thrown into a trial-by-fire situation is the best way to learn about something, right? Right.

One morning in December, I was headed out for work and I saw something I wasn't familiar with in the least. The streets were all white. Now, I didn't know if they were covered in some sort of precip that was making them white, or whether I was supposed to even drive on them when they were like that, so I seriously drove veerrrrryyyyy sloooooowwwlllly back to my apartment to call my sister (days before cell phones, ya know...) to ask her if it was ok for me to drive on the streets the way they were. She was all, "What are you talking about? The streets are white? I haven't a clue what you mean. They're fine to drive on, Faith. Go to work." I still was freaked out by it, because I'd never seen anything like it before!

And now I'm used to it, but I still notice it when it happens. It's a combo of weather occurrences that makes it happen, but as near as I can figure it's basically from ground up salt and coldness that turns them white, and of course they are perfectly safe to drive on when they're like that. It's just something I notice, for some reason. And I'm not sure if anyone else does, and that's just fine. If it's my thing, then it's my thing. I like having a thing all to myself, dammit.


And also, man, my boobs are sweaty today. Dayum.

No comments: