Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Hm. That sorta sucks.

This was my first year living in Kansas during a primary election.

I had noooo idea it was a caucus state! Last night, Leo mentioned something about "didn't we need to vote today?" I said I thought we were supposed to, but I must've been wrong. I told him that voting days are made even more obvious due to the signs and stuff that are up to point people to voting locations. He said he doesn't even know where ours is. I told him he wouldn't be able to miss it...it's on his route to work.

But then I saw that Kansas had indeed "voted" yesterday, but it was done through caucus. I don't even know what a fucking causus IS. I'm from California. Where we do that voting thing? Yeah...

Oh well. My vote wouldn't have mattered anyway. Moving on accordingly...

6 comments:

faithstwin said...

Caucus...isn't that something you use to seal things?

Stupid voting. I was not happy about any of it this time.

emawkc said...

FYI... Kansas Republicans don't caucus until Saturday (2/9) so you can still participate if you want.

Sizzle said...

WA state is a caucus state too. I've had an earful about it this morning. Apparently it does matter because it decides how many delegates and that can cause a greater impact.

Faith said...

Emaw, I thought I saw on the news this morning that McCain had won KS. I didn't realize that we don't caucus until Saturday! And if there's any day I'd like to caucus on, it'd be a Saturday.

How are we supposed to even find information about it? The whole system is fucking ridiculous to me...

"The D" said...

You can caucus all day long on Sat if you want Faith.

Here is a good description of what a caucus is:

"So what exactly IS a caucus, you ask? It’s insanely simple. The room is divided up by candidate and you stand in the section of the person that you support. If a candidate gets less than 15% of the vote, everyone standing in their section chooses another candidate. Then you take a count of everyone and it gets reported to the state party headquarters."

Which was I stolen from http://californiagirlinkansas.com/

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere that Kansas looked at doing a traditional primary election, where everyone casts their own ballot, but decided the state could not afford the $1 million price tag.
WTF?