Friday, February 15, 2008

I get into the rhythm...the click-click-clack

Every Tuesday and Thursday as I drive my ass down to the 24 Hour Fitness in Ooo-lathe at 5:15 in the freaking morning, I see several trains between the I435/I35 interchange and the Santa Fe exit, where I get off. The trains are long, usually...seeming to be 100's of cars long, I mean. On Tuesday, I saw 4 of them, on Thursday there were only 3 that I noticed.

They all are pulling cars overfilled with what looks like coal.

I don't know why, but it kind of surprises me that there is such a massive need for coal to be shipped anywhere any more that there would be so many traincars full of the stuff possibly every day of the week heading to their eventual destination.

I need to look up what coal is still used for, because it's interesting to me.

My trainer and I are also interested in the way that dustbunnies form under beds, and I actually went looking for a time-lapse video of dustbunnies forming yesterday when I got into the office. I didn't find any, but I did learn what makes a dustbunny happen. And can I just say: Ew.

Anyone else doing their homework for discussion topics at the next meet up? Because if I'm the only one, we might have quite the raging par-tay on our hands, folks...

11 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, I don't know. I thought we'd talk about sex again...as usual.

emawkc said...

I once read that something like 80 percent of household dust is HUMAN FLESH!!!!! You know, dead skin cells that slough off during the course of everyday life.

"The D" said...

We burn coal to boil water, which produces steam, which turns generators, which, produce electricity. Whala! Your lights work!

I have no clue about dust bunnies, playboy yes, dust no.

meesha.v said...

what D said-it goes to power plants. I go to the gym at the same time,I was wondering who was the other person on the street besides me.

Faith said...

You guys are a wealth of information...I didn't even need to go look anything up! Goes to show you what an English Lit degree can do for ya out in the real world. Here I was thinking, "We don't use steam engines anymore, so WTF is with all the coal?" Sheesh...

Now where is my link to a time-lapse growth of a dustbunny? Someone had better get on that, dammit.

emawkc said...

I found it. A time-lapse video of the development of a dust bunny.

Enjoy!

Faith said...

Ok, I'm so not clicking on that link, dude. It's not that I don't trust you, it's that I don't TRUST YOU.

Shit, curiosity is getting the better of me, dammit...

meesha.v said...

actually his link is uncharacteristically not inappropriate

Xavier Onassis said...

Little did you know that the same process responsible for the formation of dust bunnies is also responsible for the formation of proto-planets in the accretion disks around young stars.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0701/0701385.pdf

Except that planets don't form from DEAD SKIN CELLS!

But other than that it's exactly the same.

emawkc said...

Coincidentally, that same process is responsible for the formation of Klingons near Uranus.

A thank you very much. I'll be in town all week. Remember to tip your waitress.

KC Sponge said...

HELLO!! Does no one here read my blog - there are no klingons near Uranus, you goon!! Read up, emaw - Star Trek Klingon Academy Cadet Manual - or you'll never get through the trivia questions!!

(I, myself, think dust bunnies are cute.)