Friday, February 29, 2008

Something to celebrate

By the way, I forgot to update on this, so I figured I'd make mention since I'm bored and looking for something to do. Might as well post!

The puppy has been moved into the kitchen for sleeping and "storage" during the day. This, believe it or not, has completely managed to settle him down when it comes to sleeping at night. Not sure what his deal is...maybe it's because he's in the kitchen so often and he's more comfy with it...maybe it's because it's cooler in there than it is in the other room we had been keeping his crate in - I don't know.

I don't care, either. Know why?

Yes! It's because he's sleeping through the night, and that is all that matters.

I had been worried about keeping him in there. We had gotten to the point where we let Izzy roam the kitchen while we were gone during the day, and kept her separated from the house with a babygate. Now that the puppy is in the crate in the kitchen, we didn't want to lock Izzy up in there, because we figured it would just cause him to cry and whine all day long...and even though we aren't there to hear it, Izzy is. And it clearly stresses her out to be in the same room with him while he's in that mood.

Now that she's old enough and has matured past the point of chewing on anything she can get her teeth on or peeing/pooping everywhere she can, we feel comfy letting her "loose" in the house while we're gone. She has access to the kitchen where Jake is, but we tend to find her lying on the bed sleeping whenever we get home, or looking out the front window from her favorite dented cushion on the sofa. She wasn't eating when we left her food in the kitchen for her to eat, so I decided to move it into the bedroom when I leave in the morning, and that seemed to do the trick - she eats now while we're at work. (I associate the lack of appetite to the stress she probably feels when she hears Jake whining in the crate. I'm no dog whisperer, but I know my Iz.)

The dogs are still fighting like crazy just about all the time. They fight, and then tire and lay down to relax for a bit. And then one of them gets up and wanders about and maybe finds a toy to chew on, and the other one sees it and wants (of course) the same fucking toy, so they start to fight again, and kick each other's ass and then get tired out again, and the cycle goes on and on until we all go to bed. The next morning, it starts right back up again, except it's my feet and whatever pants I happen to be wearing that get involved in the fray, and Izzy hears me correcting Jake by telling him "No!" and starts in with her attempts to be pack leader by pulling on his ear and getting him to release my clothing/sock monkey slipper/skin.

It's so fun.

I'm waiting for the day to arrive when they coexist in a mellow way. I know it's a long way off, and we probly won't even notice it when it does happen, but this whole wanting-the-same-toy bullshit? It's just already soooo passé.

3 comments:

Sizzle said...

What I find ironic is that we are daily bombarded with messages about the obesity problem in America and yet most work out clothes don't come in larger sizes. Excuse me but how in the HELL am I supposed to work out and not be "obese" if you don't give me anything to work out in?

Fuckers.

I'm with you on the bitterness. Obviously.

Faith said...

Ok, this comment goes with the post prior to this, of course, but you know what I think? It's another niche market issue that I need to create a business for. (My other idea is event furniture rental in KC and the surrounding states. Because the closest place that will ship here is in Florida...for a minimum of $5,000!)

Comfy, well-made workout clothing for plus sizes. Need to get on that, STAT.

faithstwin said...

Not that it applies to this post, but I was in Kohl's earlier and they have a great section of activewear- including plus sizes.

But beware: if it is any colder than 70 degrees outside, they compensate by cranking up the heat to create a balmy 90 or so while you shop. Because that's comfy.