Thursday, April 10, 2008

Help?

First things first, I need some help finding a team building activity for my boss. We have a meeting next week that will involve about 50 managers, and he needs to facilitate an activity that helps illustrate and build on collaboration and relationships in the workplace. I looked all over online, but apparently, this type of thing is either illusively named, or is so locked up because all the people who have the ideas for fun activities want to be paid for them. Like this guy. His ideas and games look like a lot of fun...which is what we're aiming for. Trying to avoid the stuffy, boring "panel" discussion about collaboration and relationships in the workplace, you know? But do I wanna pay $57 to download this shit? I don't know! Maybe...if I can't find another way to get the info for cheaper, you know?

So if anyone has been to a seminar lately, or has memory of a fun activity they did at one in the past, send me an email. As an admin, I don't have a lot of opportunity to go to meetings where shit like this goes on, so my memory is failing me on this right now. Whatever help you can offer me would be awesome.

Second things second, I am on Advil Cold & Sinus right now, and I just need to express my love for this shit. GodDAMN it's the best. WOO!
I'm wearing a skirt today that might be questionably short for the office. I just have to remember to pull it down in the back whenever I get up to walk someplace, because as long as I'm sitting down, its cool. I hike up a little in the back, as they say, and so does my skirt unfortunately. It goes to my knees in the front. But when I initially stand up? It does not in the back. So tugging and primping will be the way of the day, it seems.
Alright, off to work on some stuff. Happy Thursday. Thank goodness I've made it this far...I feel drunk. :)

13 comments:

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

get them a box of crayons and have them try this exercise...it's fun - and gets people thinking about ideas other than the "normal" ideas everyone comes up with. and you get to color :)

http://before-after.com/blog3/2007/01/09/what-do-you-see/

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

get them a box of crayons and have them try this exercise...it's fun - and gets people thinking about ideas other than the "normal" ideas everyone comes up with. and you get to color :)

http://before-after.com/blog3/2007/01/09/what-do-you-see/

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

sorry - i posted twice - got all excited about coloring.

emawkc said...

I have just the thing for your teambuilder. The Boulevard brewery has an activity that is fun and educational.

What you do is go to their conference room. The bring in a keg of Wheat and everybody has to work "as a team" to empty the keg before the end of the day.

See? Awesome! And I won't even charge you fifty bucks for that idea.

Faith said...

flowerparts, I need something that specifically promotes collaboration and relationship building...that exercise seems to apply to creative thinking. Which, given, is a *part* of collaboration, but we need something that has everyone working together on something. Plus, I see a bunch of 40/50-something people (mostly men) finding a box of crayons and coloring to be a bit less than interesting at a manager development conference...I'd be afraid for my boss if he went in armed with that sort of a plan!

Yeah, thanks for the idea, Emaw...the exercise will be held in whatever ballroom they're allocated to at a hotel in OP, though. So I'm afraid that the Brewery idea won't work as well as they might like it to.

Maybe we could bring a keg in, though. Hmmm....

Heather said...

Comedy Sportz (I think it's now called Comedy City) offers some teambuilding workshops. I don't know much about them beyond that, but you can google them and look on their website.

Faith said...

This is my bad...I blame the Advil C&S...but I should have mentioned that the manager meeting is in a hotel ballroom, my boss has been allocated 45 minutes for his bit, and we can't exactly bring in outside "help" unfortunately. (Those of you who know who I work for probably understand we're all on a kinda tight budget right now.) Just looking for ideas in case anyone had been to anything recently...

faithstwin said...

Create a newsletter? People have to powow ideas, write interesting tidbits, others need to edit, most of it is informational but some of it can be done with a sense of humor. Not only does it take a team to do this but collaboration and creative thinking is involved.

Just my idea. I never had to do shit like this. Good luck with it! Bookstores have a rather large section on business shtuff...maybe go flip some pages tonight?

Coley said...

So, I'm not any help at all here. But to give you some perspective on those who HATE teambuilding activities, my only desire when I'm pushed into participation is to not have to get out of my seat.
But that's still the "too cool for school" teenager attitude I can't seem to shake.
(Oh, when I worked for a big -ass company, at huge departmental meetings, we were split into groups, then asked to create/design some brand-oriented promotional items, and explain how/why we came up with them? Collaboration, teamwork, creative thinking and logical reasoning. Not sure if that's anywhere near what you're looking for, but whatevs.)

Anonymous said...

There's an African guy that came to our workplace to play a teambuilding game called Yon Koloba. It was a lot of fun. I think he lives in KC.

Faith said...

Great...as always, helpful comments from the Anonymous front. Fantastico...

lyn said...

we did the 2 truths and a lie exercise in a dept meeting a couple of months ago. it went over really well.
there is about 70 of us, so we got into groups of 10 and allowed 25 minutes.

meesha.v said...

there is a whole blog titled "team building is for suckers". I find the whole idea repulsive and retarded.starting with the word "team". my team hates each other's guts.