Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Aaannnd Saturday...

Saturday, we were going to meet the BIL for lunch/brunch before graduation, but somehow the family all wound up joining in. I was sooo not in the mood. Thanks to my hangover, I looked and felt like shit, and the movement between nausea and hunger was quick and difficult to navigate. I was planning on staring at a wall as Leo and his brother talked about graduation, or perhaps the ass-kicking Leo gave us both at darts the night before, or something, and wasn’t in the mood to try to be nice or friendly with ALL of the family. After a bit of iced tea, I felt somewhat better. I forced down two pieces of toast, and then we went back to the cabin to get dressed for the graduation.

When we went into the graduation ceremony, it was 2:40-ish p.m. and about 70 degrees out…kind of humid. Sorta breezy.

1.5 hours later, we left the building and it was about 60 degrees out, and there was a minimum of 35 mph wind gusts blowing in with a nice chill that left the air feeling about 50 degrees. My dress wasn’t a problem when it came to the wind blowing it, but the coldness was. I’d left my coat in the car.

So then we had to stand there and wait for BIL to exit the building. Meet us by the flagpole, FIL had said. Yeah, there was a flagpole on both sides of the building, it turned out. He wound up going out the wrong side first.

Once he found us, we needed to take pictures.

And then the discussion of what we were going to do for dinner started again. BIL had only been able to obtain reservations for us at a place his dad wanted to go to at 9:30 p.m. that night. We were all fine with the idea of grabbing a snack and then catching dinner later. All except for FIL, of course. They had had lunch at about 11:30. I had only eaten two pieces of toast, mind you, and by the time the graduation ceremony had started, I was hungry and running on very low blood sugar, so it was really rather fortunate that the people who saw fit to bring their crying, bored-out-of-their-mind 2 year olds to the graduation (one of which kicked me in the head…nice) didn’t get drop-punted to the graduation floor during the ceremony, for fuck’s sake. A full 1.5 hours later as we waited outside in the wind and cold for people to get their fill of their graduating son or daughter in cap and gown, I spared no expense making it known that I was doing the best job I could not tearing anyone’s head off while we were standing outside in the fucking cold-ass wind with 800 gazillion other retards that didn’t think about the fact that they could take pictures LATER with their graduate in another location. Perhaps one that was indoors. I tried to hold it together. I really did. It just didn’t work as well as I planned it in my head.

My MIL stood next to me and tried to block the wind. Which is one of the many, many reasons why I love that woman. She didn’t say anything…she was just suddenly standing there, and I was all, “Dude! What’re you doing?” Because she was literally right on top of me…and I was confused thanks to the blood sugar issue. And she goes, “I’m trying to block the wind for you! I figured I was wide enough to be able to do the job…” I laughed, told her she was silly, and then hugged her, because she was doing a damn fine job of actually blocking the wind! Then FIL called her over to be in a picture. Dammit.

Anyway, we wound up at a sushi place. I don’t know how. I didn’t really care, I was just happy. It was me, Leo, his youngest brother, and my mother-in-law that arrived first. We sat down and looked at the menu, and decided to order a few appetizers to start. At that point, we were still planning on this being just a snack before we went to a wine bar to have some wine, and then we were set to head to the celebratory dinner at 9:30.

FIL changed that, though. He didn’t like the 9:30 reservations, and he didn’t want to go then.

*roll eyes*

The man doesn’t know the meaning of easy-going or “go with the flow”. So we wound up ordering a shit-ton of sushi, and having a lovely dinner there, and then BIL cancelled the dinner reservations afterward. (We were worried that there would be a problem, seeing as they took a credit card number in order to make the reservations. But it was FIL’s credit card. He didn’t care if he got charged, so we didn’t fucking care if he got charged. For someone that was bothered about having to help pay $75 for his son’s cap and gown rental for the graduation ceremony, he really confused the shit out of me when it came to certain spending issues throughout the weekend.)

Deciding on dinner was a bit more difficult than I would have preferred, but I’m a pain in the ass like that. FIL noticed they had an option where we could order various types of 6 pieces of nigiri sushi (the fish lying across the rice) for various prices. They named them after the 4 seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. They had another option called Four Seasons which had 2 pieces of each season. Not knowing how the paying of the check would go down, I thought it best to figure out what might be the most economical choice for us to go with…one of each of the seasons, or getting 4 orders of the Four Seasons, in which case we would have 8 pieces of each type of fish. After starting to do the math, FIL got flustered and said, “Ok, money doesn’t matter. I think we should get ne each of the seasons.” To which I wanted to reply, “Well then, why’d you ask?” But I just said, “Ok!” And we put our order in.

Dude is a bit frustrating, IMO. It doesn’t help that I harbor a deep resentment for him due to his personal interpretation of “unconditional love” for his children, but whatev.

He’s a one-upper, too. Nothing more maddening than that. I kept talking about my emotional quadrant placement throughout the weekend, because it’s been a while since I’ve seen my in-laws, and it seemed a good time to remind them of what they got when I married their son. On Sunday morning, FIL decided to announce that he’s been working on the emotional edge for over 40 years, so he trumps my emotional situation by far. I don’t know what his deal was…might’ve been the issue he took with my wine find from the night before (it was a bottle of “Bitch 2006” from Australia. It was not. good. But we ALL loved the bottle! Well, except for FIL…), I dunno. I shouldn’t have fed the one-up beast, but I did. I just told him that I am a woman and when it comes to the emotional edge, we kind of have the market covered on it. My MIL laughed at that…which was all I needed.

So that was my weekend, in a nutshell. A BIG nutshell, but really, you don’t want to know the rest of the details. I have pictures I need to upload, so I might share those later this week, but we’ll see. I’m feeling awfully tired lately, and trying to feel motivated to do anything other than watch t.v. when I’m at home.

Hope everyone else isn’t having as craptastic a day as I am today. Blech.

1 comment:

Nuke said...

Just caught up on your posts. One heck of a trip lol.

But at least you had 2 of my favorite things (tho not always together) beer ans sushi.