Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I hate shorts.

This morning on my way to work, I was in a slow traffic area that gave me the opportunity to observe a woman out for a morning walk. She was wearing shorts. And she was not a small chick.

Here's the deal: I've got quite the inner thigh going on. I haven't worn shorts to work out in since I was in college, and I was a size 8. Even then it bugged me when they rode up a bit.

But this woman was just walkin' along down the street, with her right leg of her shorts hiked all the way into her crotch.

It's not like I could see anything except for an extra bit of thigh that I really didn't necessarily need to see, but still. It's the comfort level thing that I question. Did she really think that taking a walk in shorts was a good idea? And was I the only one uncomfy with the view we had? It just rubbed me (heh.) the wrong way, is all.

I work out in pants. Only pants. Pants all the time. Even they have a tendency to ride up a bit when I'm on the treadmill, but it's something I can deal with in a reasonably graceful way. (As graceful as one needs to be at the gym, anyway.)

Why do people with lots of inner thigh wear shorts? Even when it's hot out, nuh-uh. Maybe I'm just too damned picky...

8 comments:

faithstwin said...

This is why I work out at home. Nothing rides up because I do it in a sports bra and underpants. That's it.

Seriously though, I wear jeans shorts and don't have a problem with them riding up the way I would if I wore cotton blend or other material shorts. You're a skirt person. I'm a shorts-in-warm-weather person.

I've seen people like the lady you describe- it's bad. Soooo bad.

Well Hell Michelle said...

I agree... I never wear shorts in public. Capris... yes. Shorts... no.

meesha.v said...

I have a question:why do women always work out in shorter pants,even if they are two inches shorter than regular length, I am pretty sure it doesn't help with the heat.

Nini said...

All I can really say is "ditto."

I can't decide if it's worse or not when girls BUY them that short. shudder

Faith said...

Meesha, no fucking clue, man. I like my pants to go all the way to my shoes, and I buy them accordingly. I do know that the shorter ones are more popular right now, and are therefor easier to find at places like Target, or whatever, so maybe that's why? I think it started out as a yoga thing that extended to the regular workout room floor.

Nini, indeed. I had a post about that about a month ago. A chick I saw in Chili's when I was eating lunch with Leo one Sunday afternoon...she got up, and I swear her shorts had rolled up to the point where I thought she was literally in her underwear. They turned out to be a short terry-cloth type thing, but even on her (she had a really nice body), it was offensive. I can understand if someone wants to wear them at home, but out in public? Let's keep the length decent, hm?

thedirtyknitter said...

shorts suck

Coley said...

Really Faith? Not into having the whole world as your gynecologist? Huh. Go figure.

For serious on the slightly short work out pants. All I could find when I went shopping, at least in the non-skin-tight variety. Look, I'm chubby, I don't wear skintight ANYTHING! Jerky clothing manufacturers.

Ahi Tunasteak said...

Stop the women on women hate...

This is why we all hate our thighs!

Not cool.