Thursday, July 24, 2008

Coming into shape...

We had drywall installed starting last Friday. Yesterday, they finished the mudding. Today, they are sanding everything down. And I'm so, sooo glad that Leo gets home 2 hours before I do! It's become his regular routine to go home and clean things up from the area we're living in right now. It's all still a big mess, but it gets a lot of the dust and big pieces of mud and stuff leftover off the floor.

Here's the doorway into the new addition from our master bedroom...
And this has been hard to explain, and show until now. And even these pictures don't show it well, but I'm trying! The extra little space we gained in the 3rd bedroom/our office. A 2' x 2' "nook" that had to go in, thanks to the overlap of the addition on the room itself. (We could have made the addition a narrower space, but it wouldn't have worked as well as it does as it does with the extra 2 feet we were able to get this way...) This is the nook...
Here's a picture I tried to take from outside the room in the hallway...but the light coming in from the window kinda fucks with the flash. I tried!
Here's our shower...I sure hope we don't get any bigger than we are! The opening to the shower looks narrow to me, for some reason. But inside the shower...that's HUGE! Yay!
This is the famous window wall, as I call it. It's costing me a fortune, so I'm glad it's turning out to please me as much as it is. Mutherfucking expensive contractors, with their costs to remove siding, cut holes, and put in 'extra' drywall, and shit...GAH!
The contractor and I have gotten past our main issues, for now. I had the 3rd bedroom inspected yesterday, and there was no moisture present in the sheetrock, or in the insulation and joists above the sheetrock in the attic. We didn't test for mold, as I saw no point. I told my contractor to move forward with his plans (either to cover the stains with Kilz and paint, or to replace if absolutely necessary), and then I got very serious with him about other issues we need to cover. Like the siding on the house.

It seems this guy simply doesn't understand that we need money left over in our savings for things like emergencies...and landscaping. And we haven't even discussed the pricing on refinishing the wood floors in the house! That's disappointing to me, because I'm honestly afraid it will eat up a good amount of what little we have left in savings. ::sigh!:: We really need them refinished, especially now that we've had construction going on. Oh well...

He told me that if we need financing options for the additional amount it will cost to side the house, then I need to talk to the bank I have my home loan through. I told him right back that adding on to our home loan is most certainly NOT an option. And then I told him to go ahead with the plan for the heavy gauge vinyl. But I need to get an estimate for the costs that we will NOT exceed in the process. Because if I'm planning on spending, say, $7500 for this (originally budgeted $3500 for the siding), and then come to find out it will actually cost me $8000 or $8500, I'm dead. Dead in the water. CANNOT do it. And I don't think it's much to ask for a specific number, you know? His little comments like, "For about $4,000 more (maybe a little over that but not much)..." will NOT work for me, ok? I've cried all the tears I wanna cry over this deal. I'm DONE!

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted. And hopefully have some pictures of tile, or something, in the next week. I think that's what happens next! Not sure, really. Do they paint, and then tile? I dunno. We'll see!

2 comments:

"The D" said...

That's a nice looking nook, but where's the cranny? I mean if ya have a nook ya gotta have a cranny for christ sakes!

Faith said...

I'll make sure to show you the cranny at the next meetup we're both at, ok?