Monday, July 14, 2008

Contemporary Traditional

Ok, since faaaabulous Anonymous 8:52 a.m. doubted my design style in the previous post, I thought I'd go ahead and show what I'm talking about. In case we have anyone else that questions the choices we're making in our new space. I call our style Contemporary Traditional, because I like a lot of the lines of traditional furniture and design, but I like a more up-to-date version of certain things. Hard to describe, but basically, see a Crate & Barrel catalog. That should give you a good picture of what I mean!

Here's a photo of exactly what we'll be doing. See? Window? Above the bed? Surrounded by curtains? Um, duh?

Here's an example of what we will not be doing. Even though its in Elle Decor as an example of decor in a bedroom, I have a hard time plopping such a high headboard in front of a window like that. Even in the old bedroom, we had the headboard encroaching a bit over the window, and it drove me nuts. We won't be doing that...
Here's an example of the low type of platform bed we're considering.
(Photos courtesy of Elle Decor online.)

But here's the one I found over the weekend that we like. The four posts come up to about my shoulder height, so it's not a tall bed. But it would look awfully pretty in front of the window! I'm just afraid of it overwhelming the room, even though it isn't a super-tall piece, so we have more thinking to do about it.

(Photo courtesy of CB2.)


We also stopped by the 'Po over the weekend to look into some lighting options. I saw a drum lamp shade being used as a flush ceiling light fixture in a magazine I was looking at, and fell in love. But I can't figure out how to do it myself! So I've been looking into drum/barrel shade options since then, and we think we hit the nail on the head with the Ashbury collection from Progress Lighting, as seen here.


Right now, it's a toss-up between this...



...and this for the master bedroom. I love the chandelier, but Leo thinks it would hang too low. t actually is shorter than the pendant above, so it's all about measurements at this point, really.



This is the light we would put in the other two bedrooms. LOVE!


And that's that for now. Anyone else want to question my design ideas? Feel free to leave a comment, of course. But if you really want to remain Anonymous about it, then just don't bother. You anonypussies bug the shit out of me...grab a pair and either log-in, or leave your name. It's not like I really care that you might have different design aesthetics, really...that's what makes the world fun to look at! But I hate it when you post thinly-veiled negative feedback under the anonymous moniker. That just pisses me off...

**Ok, I just looked at the pricing on the lighting that I want, and we won't be getting that. The one light isn't so bad...but the other two? Holy hell! Between $500 - $720. Um, no. Damn!

9 comments:

"The D" said...

You just want to look out the window while doing "it".

I bet that hurts Leo's feeling.

Or maybe you want the neighbors to watch you doing "it"

Faith said...

Well, you'd have to admit, that IS a rather contemporary take on the traditional sexy-time found in most homes.

And the glorious view from those windows is of....the side of the neighbor's garage. Yeah, we're going to have some sheer curtains in there, or roman shades, or something...

emawkc said...

I like the posts on that bed. Ideal place to put in a couple of eye bolts and attach chains, leather straps and other "bedroom accessories."

Faith said...

You know what's funny? You guys are still funnier than the anonydouche who thinks that sleeping on top of flies and gnats in the windowsill is a necessary evil when you have your bed pushed up against a couple of windows in your master bedroom!

And you're making me laugh when I need it most. Apparently, we have the oldest siding in the world on our house, and the fact that we ripped into it in two different places means we'll likely have to replace 60% of it, which means we'll have to replace ALL of it, because can you really see me just replacing 2 walls-worth of siding on my house, and leaving the rest for later? HA!

Siding is cheap, though, right? Couple hundred bucks, and the job is done? Oof! Punch. in. gut. (Ow.)

emawkc said...

No prob on the siding. My SMW and I replaced the siding on our house last summer and it only cost us $15,000.

Faith said...

Faaantastico...

I'm really hoping we have a better solution. Really, really.

anonydouche said...

The curtains will tangled on your face too. I'm the voice of experience.

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

i think that the kind of low platform bed - w/ a very low headboard (like you show in the photo) is a fab idea. keeps you out of the tangled mess of curtains anony thinks you'll be rustling about in and a nice barrier between you and those scary flies that you obviously won't be vacuuming! ha! we have a low platform bed like that - and LOVE it...it's angled by the windows - not right in front - but it works perfect (although we have a feeling our neighbors watch us - even when the curtains are closed...hmmm..) Low beds are great for little dogs too - better on their legs/backs/hips as they get older. I just found out a West Elm is going in over by town center or something? seems like it would be kinda your style too? Opens tomorrow!

Faith said...

"The curtains will tangled on your face too. I'm the voice of experience."

Yes, well, forgive me if I tend to subscribe more to the voices of experience that can actually put together coherent sentences. I think we'll be good. Now go 'way.

flowerparts, I knew about the West Elm (actually squealed in glee when I saw that announcement in one of their catalogs they sent out recently...), but did NOT KNOW it was opening tomorrow! Gleeeee to the Nth power! Thanks for the heads-up!