Monday, July 14, 2008

Ok, now that we're done with the drama...

Much less exciting stuff going on this week in the world of The Knot, thank goodness. Mostly because, as I mentioned, I'm not going there this week. So, yeah...

Update on the house work. They bumped/removed the wall that was separating the new space from the old, finally. So this is the current view from the new bathroom into the two bedrooms that will be getting new walls. (The little bedroom is getting a 2' x 2' "nook" added to it, so that's why we have the wall down in there...) Master bedroom is on the left...

Here's the door into the bathroom from the master bedroom...it had been framed out to be a pocket door, because neither the architect nor my contractor listened to me in the beginning when I said I DID NOT WANT a pocket door there. We've fixed it at this point...
In the bedroom, we moved the window (which was where the door to the bathroom is now...) over to be next to the other window in the room. The original plan was to only have one window in the room...off-center on the wall. Makes me question the architect's abilities, sometimes. Anyway, I asked to have the other window moved over to the south wall instead, so now the windows will act as a headboard to the new bed we have. I'm sooo excited about this design element, it makes me want the project done NOW...
Here's the 2' x 2' nook in the small bedroom we use as an office. It will now be home to our file cabinet and printer, and some floating shelves. Awesome!
A nd this is Leo as he discusses the popcorning of the ceiling that will have to happen in the old closet space. We're not excited about popcorning...but I don't know if we should remove the current popcorn that exists in the rest of the room. The only room that doesn't have it in the house is the primary bathroom we have. I had that remodelled 4 years ago, and they didn't put popcorn back up there, thank goodness! Anyway, if we have our way, the popcorn ceiling will be removed. We'll see...
That's it for now! I'm hoping the drywall will start up this week. That should be fun to take pics of. Also, my contractor completely ignored my two emails I sent him last week (while he was out of town, mind you...great time to leave, right in the middle of a very important part of our project, and all!) and sent me an email this morning simply asking me, "Do you know who installed the siding that's on your house right now?" Um, NO, I don't know that. I bought the house 5 years ago, and the siding is so obviously older than that, it's not even funny. The chick who was in the house before me had been there for 15 years, and I seriously doubt SHE was the one that put that siding on. (It's steel, so it's a long-lasting varietal...) I'm not in the mood to talk to him, but I really need to talk to him, you know? I hate that...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Headboard next to the windows, seems like a bad idea...

Faith said...

No, no...windows AS headboard. And it's an awesome idea.

Perhaps I like light more than you do...

Our plan is to get a platform bed of some type. I think I found one over the weekend that we like, but we need to measure to make sure it will work in the room.

Anonymous said...

I tried it once and hated it, never again. Your pillow will constantly get wedged into the gap of your bed and window, there's no escape from the sunlight, and windows are just dirty. You'll have to sleep with your head on all the dead flies and gnats that will inevitably accumulate on the window sill. Think it through while you're still building. Horrible idea.

Faith said...

Gah! Ever heard of weekly vaccuming?

Also, a really effective "escape" from sunlight are these newfangled things called "curtains". You should check them out!

faithstwin said...

Anonymous, you must be thinking of me. I am the one in the family that doesn't clean shit like that. My bed is very far from my windows. I also use curtains, though. They're amazing!