Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Getting somewhere...

So the vanity has been installed in the bathroom. It's gorgeous! We really cannot wait to see it when it's been stained. I think they'll do that when they paint the walls. Not sure. Anyway, here it is!
There will be a tower in between the two sinks and medicine cabinets, but it will be installed on top of the countertop, so that's sitting off to the side right now. Lookit all the drawers and stuff on the lower cabinet, though! Oooooo!
Our only worry right now is that the wire for the lighting isn't centered over the medicine cabinet, but I'm hoping that will work out as we get close to installation. (Of course, I'll be mentioning it to my contractor...I wouldn't just cross my fingers and hope they catch it, since that would be stupid, really.)

And the pantry in the kitchen. Ah, the pantry. The thing that is keeping us from being able to re-do the floors. But we need storage more than we need new floors, so they can wait for now. They delivered the pieces last Friday, and then didn't install them until Monday. I took a couple of pictures of them when they were uninstalled, so you guys could see how convenient it was to have them where they were...this is the center unit that the fridge was placed into...

We literally had about 2 feet of door space to get in and out of thekitchen through both the back door to the yard as well as the door to the garage. It was fooon...

Here are the side units that were in a much more convenient place, but I can't say it wasn't hard to keep from putting stuff into the unit that was facing out! I so wanted to load that baby up! I refrained, though...
And THIS is what they look like now that they've been installed!
I cannot believe how well they match the old cabinets. We have a slightly fancier molding on top, and we'll also be staining them dark like the table top, but the arches! They are perfect, no?
Ugh. Now if we could just get rid of that ugly old oven. Not until next year, though! Good thing it still works ok...

We're probaby going to have to undertake the staining of the pantry ourselves, since the cost, we would imagine, for the contractor to have someone do it could well be ridiculous. Leo sees the task of staining as being comparable to performing heart surgery, though. He keeps talking about what if we mess it up, and how we might ruin them. GAH! It's wood! It's not that hard to stain wood. I think we'll be ok. And if we mess it up THAT badly? We'll sand them and restain them. Jeezy kreezy...

Anyway, we're waiting on the flooring to be installed, and hopefully will be picking out paint and stuff this week or next. In the meantime, we're looking forward to having the sides of our house ripped off in preparation for the new siding to be installed. It had better be fucking gorgeous, because I'm not sure what I'll do if it looks just ok when it's all said and done. Just not sure...

7 comments:

Heather said...

I'm starting to get excited about your home improvement.

Meanwhile, I'm still painting kitchen cabinets...

faithstwin said...

Oh I like that! The arches on the new cabinetry are perfect! Tell Leo he can come here and watch the girls while I go there and stain the gosh darned stuff myself. It's UBER easy. Really, it's a lot like painting only you wipe the stain off in between coats.

Anonymous said...

Staining wood IS easy, it's the clearcoat that's the hard part! If there was one thing NOT to skimp on, it's the cabinet finsihing. A sprayed finish will look much nicer than a brushed finish.

Painting walls, ceilings and trim are no problem.

Good luck!

A real painting contractor

Cate said...

WOW is all I can say. Okay, I can say more. It's turning out so beautifully and I'm very torn between being happy for you and Leo and terribly sad for myself that I've been in my house for two years and have only completed a tiny portion of renovating it. woe is me.

But, this is about you! And, it's all really, really lovely. You are going to have so much fun cooking and hanging out in your bathroom!

Amy said...

Check out Craiglist for someone to do the staining job for you-- sometimes there are people who are looking for side-jobs in addition to their regular job. They charge reasonable rates too!

Faith said...

Cate, I've lived in the house for almost 5 years now, so don't even think you're behind in renovations at all! In fact, if it hadn't been for the company issues I had this year (no raises :( ), we were just going to refinish the floors and fix up the landscaping, and sell the buggar. But, since we couldn't afford a bigger place, but we COULD afford to add on to the current one, that's why we went that way.

We'll be there for the next 80 years now, I'm sure.

Amy, I don't have any fear at all of staining that pantry. I also don't have any money at all to pay someone to stain that pantry! So we're gonna do it, and we're gonna do it right. I watch a LOT of HGTV. I'm confident that I can at least stain some wood. Now, installing drywall has me a little more worried...

:)

Nuke said...

The pantry looks great, and I am finally starting to see some of what you have been talking bout in the kitchen.

Keep up the good work!