Thursday, October 30, 2008

What would you have done?

Last night, Leo and I went for a walk with the dogs before dinner, taking advantage of the perfect weather, and trying to wear the dogs out after their already long day at the Playplace.

Close to the finish of our walk, we were on a street a couple of blocks down from our own. As we walked down the street, I noticed a little dog out in the middle of it. He looked scared and confused. As we got closer, he ran back to the other side of the street, watching us as we approached. He was about the same size as our dogs, but skinnier. The house he was at was dark, but their garage was open, and junk was just spilling out of it. I was afraid that maybe he'd escaped the yard, and was thinking of approaching the house to let them know their dog was out. But he was sitting on the porch at that point, just watching us as we walked by. Our dogs were so tired by that point (yay!) that they didn't even react to this sad little guy.

There was also a chair out on their porch...it was a lazy-boy type thing. Not a standard outside chair. There was a mattress falling out of the garage, and lots of other junk that seemed to keep the garage door from being able to be closed. It looked like someone had just thrown all the shit out there in a hasty manner.

I was concerned, and thought we should check with a neighbor to see if they knew the dog's owners, and if they knew what was going on at that house. But all the houses around it seemed dark, too.

Leo just kept walking. He noticed that the people had put their trash out to be collected yesterday morning, so to him, that was a sign that things were fine.

I didn't trust that. I called the police when I got home (not 911...I call the police distpatch for our city instead when it comes to stuff like that), and I asked if they could maybe check it out? If for no other reason than to make sure that puppy was ok. I told them that it looked just like a really weird situation, and they asked if I wanted to be called back, and like a dope, I said no. So I have no idea what the deal was...

Afterward, I got defensive with Leo - not for any reason in particular, but just because I'm me. I said, "You know, if someone came into our house, killed us, and then stole a bunch of stuff, leaving a mess in the garage like that as they left, I'd only hope that our neighbors would be concerned enough to call the police based on what they saw outside! Maybe nothing is wrong...maybe they're just messy and assholeish. At least the police should be able to tell them to take care of their dog!"

He agreed. But I still wonder if I'm a jackass for calling and being all concerned. It didn't look right, though, you know? I just had a funny feeling about it, is all.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? And believe me, I really wanted to walk up to the house and knock on the door. But I was afraid of scaring the puppy into running. I don't think it would have had a problem approaching us if we hadn't had two dogs with us, but since that wasn't the case, I'm sure it wouldn't have come if I'd called to it.

11 comments:

faithstwin said...

Couldn't you have had Leo hold Iz and Jake while you went to check on the dog? I think you did the right thing. Intuition doesn't lie and even if it did, the worst you did was ask the police to check on a place and a pet- that's their job dude. It was perfectly fine for you to call. Take it easy on Leo. He wasn't raised with the same concern we were, ya know? That and he's a GUY which is just already one strike against him...

Anonymous said...

If anything I'd be worried that because you called the cops, now these people will face some sort of ordinance violation/ticket for having junk in their garage. I'd try to keep the cops out of the picture. Esentially you're the nosey neighbor with an overactive "what if" imagination.

faithstwin said...

Anonymous- WHAT are you talking about?

Don't be such a pussy. Not only is your post idiotic but you can't bother with using your name. Grow some already.

Faith said...

Personally, if they are alive and fine and all, I think they damned well deserve the ticket for whatever violation the police saw them committing. Especially for the dog wandering around outside, without a collar, in the street.

Anyone that treats their property like that, whether its a living being or "just" a house, deserves to be called on it.

Again, if anything ever happened to me or Leo or both of us, and it was obvious that there was some issue just by looking at our house from the street, and our neighbors DIDN'T call the police? I'd think I was living in the wrong neighborhood, man. I'm happy to have what you call "nosey" neighbors. Because being "nosey" usually means that they're what I CALL "caring."

Anonymous said...

Oh yea, cuz it'w way more neighborly and caring to call the cops vs. walking up to the door and knocking.

Faith said...

Ok, I explained that there was a huge mess, right? Maybe I didn't make that clear in the post, but I swear I did because you mentioned it in your last douchey comment! It looked SCARY. And the dog might've been frightened if my fat ass walked right up to it like that.

I felt it was the most appropriate course of action, both in the interest of my own safety, as well as my little family's. You see it differently. We GOT IT. Move along if you aren't gonna post your name, fucktard.

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

my husband gets p.o'd at me all the time b/c i am going up to loose dogs and trying to figure out where they belong (he's been bitten a couple of times) but yeah - my concern would have been more about the dog than the people (i know - i'm heartless) so i would've called the police - or just taken the dog. but you guys have lived in that area long enough to know when something looks off. good for you for being a concerned citizen - we need more of them! but now i wanna know what happened (next time have the police call you back!)

clw said...

I think if you felt something was "off" then it probably was and you did the right thing. If you didn't feel it was a good idea to go up to the house then it sounds reasonable that you did something. I'm sure the puppy thanks you :-)

Sizzle said...

I say always go with your gut instinct. What's the harm in caring? You could have gone up to the door but it looked like no one was home and it looked scary. If they get a ticket, whatever, because you didn't make the law. It's not like you are calling in a complaint. You were calling in a CONCERN.

Whenever a pet or a kid is involved, I react.

Stephanie said...

I think you definitely did the most appropriate thing here. If nothing else, they need to get a talking to from the cops about keeping their dogs on a leash, and their family room furniture indoors. Furthermore, I think 'anonymous' is an Asshat. That is all.

Midtown Miscreant said...

Obviously, if I called the cops to check on a dog here in the city, and it wasn't eating someones face off, they would probably hang up on me. Still I think you did what you thought best, out of concern for the pup. I cant find an iota of fault with that. I see stray dogs all the time around here, Ive stopped more often than not if they look hurt, and more than a few times Ive been known to chase them down the street with a bag of dogfood or a sack of Mc D's.