Friday, November 21, 2008

Local honey?

Ok. I gave up and finally went to the doctor today for whateverthefuck it is that I have. (Remember I had that flu a couple of weeks ago? And then last week I was relatively ok, but over the weekend, I started getting stuffy and coughy and sneezy? It's just gotten worse, and worse, and worse this week...)

First of all, she reminded me that we need to change our air filter in the furnace. It's been at least 6 weeks, and it needs to be done right away, because I'm pretty sure it was one of the flimsy-need-to-change-it-weekly kinds that we got for the house during construction. Now that we don't have construction dust of any kind flying through the air nonstop, we can go back to the $30 allergen reducers that only need to be changed every 3 months! WOO!

Secondly, she looked at the back of my throat and could confirm both the severe allergies I'm being attacked by (red with white spots that are really, really bad now that I've let it go so long), as well as the sinus infection (snot running down the back of my throat...pretty!), and prescrbed shit accordingly.

Hopefully, that means I'll be back to full fighting strength as of Monday. I haven't been able to work out regularly or sleep well for the last few weeks, and both those negatives add up to a body that can't fight things on its own so well, dammit.

But I've also lost 6 pounds over the past 3 weeks, as of last Saturday. I thank my lowered appetite for that though.

I had a friend suggest that I eat local honey to ward off the newly born allergies, as it works super-well for her husband. I'd forgotten about that tidbit until she mentioned it, as I remember hearing about it a while ago, but its never applied to me until now. I've never had allergies before. Not like this, anyway. This is baaaaad.

Anyone know of where I can pick up some local honey? Whole Foods? Regular old supermarket? Online? Point me in the direction of my possible salvation, wouldya? Danka!

6 comments:

Chimpotle said...

Local market should have a few brands.

Alisha said...

Unfortch, the honey thing works best if you eat it before the allergy season starts. But it probably can't hurt to try it now. I like some mixed in Jameson. Coats the throat and makes sleeping easy! :)

Midtown Miscreant said...

local, City market maybe?

m.v. said...

city market confirmed, the big day is on Saturday but I saw the guy there on a weekday. Also Hen House stocks local farm products some of the time.

Janet said...

Hy-vee carries Cooper's, which is out of Belton. Price Chopper does too, I think.

Faith said...

I saw Coopers at the Walmart Grocery we shop at over the weekend, as well as at Whole Foods. However, some of the bottles had a Belton address, and some had a Peculiar address. From what I've heard, you want to get honey that's harvested within 20 miles of your home, so I was going to check that Peculiar address, and see what I can find out about it.

The City Market seems like a good bet, too. I'm doing some research this week! Thanks for all the help, guys! MWAH!