Monday, February 02, 2009

1 more year...

It's been one year since dad got his lung transplant. I wrote about it here when I was en route to the hospital to be with him and my step mom during his initial recovery from the surgery.

I'm so grateful, it's beyond proper words for me to be able to express. I get to see him next week! I can't wait to hug him, and talk to him, and get advice, and make him laugh...

Some facts about IPF (idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis):
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is a progressive and generally fatal disease characterized by scarring of the lungs that thickens the lining of the lungs, causing an irreversible loss of the tissue’s ability to transport oxygen. IPF ultimately robs a patient of the ability to breathe.

- IPF affects about 128,100 people in the United States, with about 48,000 new cases diagnosed annually. (1) 40,000 people die each year to IPF, the same as to breast cancer.

- Scarring, or fibrosis, caused by IPF thickens and stiffens the interstitium, causing an irreversible loss of the tissues’ ability to transport oxygen.

- IPF is five times more common than cystic fibrosis and Lou Gehrig’s Disease (or ALS), yet the disease remains virtually unknown (to general public and even among some physicians) and IPF receives a fraction of the research funding (IPF: approx. $18 million per year; Cystic Fibrosis and ALS: $85 million and $48 million per year respectively.

And the scariest fact of them all:
- There is no known cause, no FDA approved treatments and no cure for IPF. IPF is one of the few remaining diseases in which this is the case.

5 comments:

Nuke said...

Wow, has it been a year already? I'm hoping he has many more!

faithstwin said...

I called and talked with him today and he sounded good! I can't believe we have at least 3 diseases in our family line that are kind of rare as well as have a higher rate of death than other diseases that get more federal funding towards research than ours do. It sucks. It isn't fair. I plan on having a chat with God when the time comes...

Faith said...

What I can't believe is that we have so many diseases in our family...and I don't have ANY of them! Whaaat!? I'm, like, the worst person out of all of us. So you need to have a serious discussion with God about that issue, too. His sense of humor is a bit too dry when it comes to that sort of thing, IMO!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the information about IPF. My husband (only 37) is currently being evaluated for a transplant and they're still finalizing his diagnosis. He has an immune deficiency and his PF is likely related to that in some way. We're thankful for each day and hopeful for a long future together.

faithstwin said...

Sarah! My heart goes out to you. Our Dad is going to be 69 this year. His brother passed away because they hadn't updated 'the list' before he was so ill. Placing people on a transplant list these days is so much better than it used to be. NOW they look at who is the sickest instead of who has been waiting the longest. God knows some of the most sick have been waiting the longest yet there are some, such as our Dad, who became so ill so fast he didn't have time to wait.

I wish your busband the best and hope things go well for you.