Friday, February 20, 2009

Vacation photos, anyone?

Ok, so I still haven't uploaded my videos to Google yet, but I promise to get to that this weekend. For sure. (Maybe...depends on my mood. Which hasn't been all that stellar as of late, so we'll see.) For now, I do have quite a few photos, and this batch doesn't even include the day Twin and I spent with my old friend Markus and his new fiancee. We took LOTS of pictures, yo.

So we flew into town on Monday, and then we hung out at dad's, and went to dinner that night with Twin, her girls, and dad and step mom. It was great hanging out like that again. And it was a nice way to kick off the vacation.

The next day, I took Leo to a local greasy spoon for breakfast. We used to go there all the time after mass on Sundays with dad, and I hadn't been there in years. It is right next to the train tracks in San Juan Capistrano, and for a Tuesday morning at 8:30 a.m., it was really bustling! We had a delicious breakfast that was way too huge, and then we went home and rested for about 10 minutes before heading back out to meet Twin and her coworkers at the house Twin works in. We were going to lunch with a bunch of them at 11:30. Fortunately, lunch was kind of a clusterfuck, thanks to the wondrous serving skills our waitress had, so I didn't actually get food in front of me until about 12:15-ish. So I was hungry enough by then. It was fun meeting Twin's coworkers, and being able to put faces with names, and see them in real life. And Twin's boss picked up the tab, which was so, soooo nice of her! I need to send her a thank you note...

That night, Leo and I were scheduled to meet up with his family that live in the area for beers and pizza. Being such a heavy food day, and being that it was so flipping gorgeous out, I suggested we go down to Dana Point to walk around a bit. So we did...

See? Gor. GEOUS! Such a pretty day...

We made our way over to a path that runs at the bottom of this cliff. It got really warm around the base of it, what with all the rock absorbing the sun and stuff. So for a 60 degree day, I was pretty warmed up.

Here's the view from the base of the cliff back towards the beach...

I've always loved going there when I have some down time. You can't tell from the pictures, but again, for 2:30 p.m. on a Tuesday afternoon, there were a surprising amout of people on that beach. Weird.

Wednesday, we drove down to San Diego after a lovely lunch at the old Ruby's Diner I used to work at as a waitress back in 1998. We got into town a bit early, but planned on leaving our luggage at the hotel and then going to a wine tasting and culinary center that was just a minute walk away from our hotel. Unfortunately, their hours had changed since the online info I had gotten on them was updated, and we weren't able to go in. So we found a bar instead, and drank beers and watched basketball. That night we had one of the best sushi meals we've ever had at a place calle Kiyo's not too far from our hotel. We told the sushi master behind the bar to give us what he thought we should have, and he did. It was perfect. Absolutely delicious.

Thursday, we went to Balboa Park, which was a few blocks from our hotel, and was a really great place to visit on yet another perfectly gorgeous day. (The temps while we were there were lower than they had been in the previous weeks...usually about 55 - 63 degrees out. But it was mostly sunny, and we were very happy with it.)

The park is filled with museums, and we loved the architecture...






We went to 3 different museums before heading back to the hotel to change for dinner. We met up with Lyn at Confidential (also within walking distance of the hotel), where I ate WAY too much food, but it was all so delicious, it was hard not to! After dinner, Lyn took us to a coffee/dessert place she likes a lot. Leo and I shared a pot of Hawaiian coffee that was really yummy and hit the spot. We also shared a scoop of carmel salted ice cream that was out of this world. But by the time I was done with that, I was totally ready to explode, I was so full! I had wanted to show Leo a favorite hangout that Lyn goes to, called Lamplighter, but I would have surely made a fool of myself if I'd gone there. I really needed to lie down and just moan it out for a while. They frown on that kind of behavior in public places.

Friday, the Twin and her daughters drove down and met us at Sea World. It has been yeeears since I've been, and I was really looking forward to it! Leo, not so much. But I think he wound up having a decent time.

I mean, how could someone NOT love Sea World!? Beluga whales!

Shamu...

...frolicking about!

Gah, I just love that I caught those shots! There is nothing more majestic or fun than watching killer whales frolicking about and having fun.

But then you see their size compared to people...
...and you're reminded of just why they're called "killer". They will eat anything. But NOTHING eats them. They're the top of the mutherfucking food chain of the sea, man. That's not something to fool around with.

Dolphins, on the other hand, are littler. (Did you know that whales are just big dolphins? Yeah, they are. We learned it while we were waiting for the Shamu show to start...) And so they're easier to imagine in the frolicking sense.

Oh hai...I'm a dolphin floating by you...

I got some really fun video of penguins, as well as Shamu, and I'll put that up next week, promise. In the meantime, happy weekend!

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Those pictures are gorgeous! I'm living vicariously through you so keep em coming! :P

Cate said...

You had me at caramel salted ice cream!

faithstwin said...

OooOOooo! Those turned out really nice!

Stacey K said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks for posting them! I miss the ocean so much. I'm a bit jealous, but looking forward to living vicariously a bit through your videos.