Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Glass half full...with contingencies?

Ok, so I'm trying to keep really positive about my job, and not losing it and all of that. I've been feeling really good about it until this week, when I started getting all nervous again for some reason. There's a part of my brain that keeps thinking that the more positive I am about not losing it, the higher the chance of me keeping it will be.

But I put my resume up on CareerBuilder today, all the same.

Is that being contradictory? Am I setting myself up for a fall because of that teeny, tiny lack of faith I have in me being able to keep my job?

Or is it just my innate adminism (my new word...I really like it, don't you?) getting me to be all proactive in the situation, and shit? There are a shocking amount of admin jobs available right now. And I guess there's just a part of me that wants to make sure I'm in the running for one or two of them, should I have need to be.

Oh, and just a reminder to any executives, or HR departments, or staffing companies out there that happen to read this: If you are looking for an "executive assistant" to fill a position, you had better damned well be ready to pay more than $12 - $15 an hour. Unless you are really looking for a glorified receptionist who only has a couple of years of experience under their belt. Because, honey, we don't come that cheap, ok? Jeezy...

7 comments:

May said...

I'm in the same situation: I may lose my job, but I may not. I've been actively looking for another job because it only makes sense. I don't think that's contradictory at all, just smart planning.

Logtar said...

It is always good to keep your options open, but don't get paranoid or it will consume you. If the fear is true, start looking, if it is not then quit thinking about it (I know that is easier said than done.) If it does happen that you lose your job, you will be able to get something else... it just takes time and effort.

Logtar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faith said...

Yeah, when they announced the layoffs, there was a general air of doom around the place. But it went away the following week...I think we all (or the majority of us) went through a period of time where we accepted the possibility, and started thinking positively about it instead of dreading the possible eventuality of being fired.

But now that its creeping up to the time when they officially tell us, I think my brain is just freaking out a bit again. It might have something to do with the fact that I am really, really looking forward to hiring Heather's Mr. Recommendation to help us redo the garage finally. Not sure...

Amber said...

FOR REAL!!!!!!!!!

I am an Exec Asst as well, and all I see on job postings is a ridiculous low hourly rate!

Faith said...

I think they do that because they feel they'll get more "quality" applicants, or something, if they call it an Executive Admin position. But the thing is, I don't want to be a receptionist anymore...I worked too hard and too long to get to the point I'm at today to take a job as a receptionist. Nothing against being one if you are one, but I worked my way up from it, and I don't wanna go back there again, you know?

It makes me want to send them a note saying, "Executive Admins with proper experience make more than $17 an hour/$38,000 annually. You should rename your listing, or take the salary up a few notches. Kthxbye." But I think keeping it to myself and not applying for the job is the better way to go. :) It's hard to refrain, though...

Nuke said...

I think you are doing exactly what you need to. Stay positive, but take precautions.

Looking at your options in a time of economic uncertainties is not negative, it's proactive. And proactive is positive!