Monday, March 16, 2009

Now that I know I have a paycheck still for a while...

We've finally decided to move on with the garage remodel, now that I know for sure that gainful employment is sticking with me for the time being, and all. We have our debt under control, and while I really, really wish that Home Depot would send one of those 12 month no payment/no interest deals out this week, so we can buy our supplies with no strings until next March, we can afford to buy the supplies right out, if necessary. It would have been much easier if we hadn't owed the Fed and the state of Kansas so fucking much on our taxes, but oh well. We need to move on, and just let it goooo....

Why do we need to even remodel the garage, you say? I mean, it IS just a place to park the car and store out of season supplies, tools, and leftover paint and stuff, right? Well, when I moved in, I hated it, and it just hasn't grown on me over the years the way I thought it might.

That back wall of exposed insulation drives me MAD. The side wall with the tools isn't even a proper drywall material, but is rather just some ugly plywood that I hate. And the other side with the shelves that hold all our paint, and other sundry items, is not insulated, even though it's an outer wall. That just drives me nutty.
That door up there? Yeah, its just a normal inside-the-house kinda door. We're replacing it with a proper steel outside-the-house kinda door. And framing it with something other than the weird space-filling caulk stuff that the previous home owners thought was sufficient.
All of the tools need a better home. I hate the way they hang right now. I need more hooks, and more organization, dammit!
In this next photo, note how the shelf on the bottom is tipped precariously toward the floor. I don't know why its like that, but I know its coming the fuck down...
This back corner where the little dresser and the plastic closed shelfing unit is at is where our washer and dryer used to be. I hated doing laundry out there for all those years, and now I hate going out to get tools from those two storage places even more. I want some proper shelves, and for the walls to be completed, dammit!

Anyway, we're working with Heather's Mr. Recommendation. Nice guy. Has some really good suggestions on reuse of the old insulation, and electrical changes and stuff. We should be done with tearing shit out in the next couple of days, and then we'll get on the install of the new insulation and drywall. This all wound up being perfectly timed with the large-item pick-up that our neighborhood is doing this coming Saturday, too. We're only tearing out the old shelves, and the one wall, so we don't have a need for a great, big dumpster like we initially thought, and not having to rent one means we save anywhere from $80 - $210!

So watch for updated pictures throughout the next couple of weeks. And don't think we're crazy when we paint the new walls and the ceiling, ok? I grew up with pretty garages, and I want one of my own now, dammit! I just hate storing stuff in a creepy, dirty, icky space...call me a weirdo if ya want. It's not like I didn't already know you feel that way about me, eh? Plus, we got the paint for free from a friend. So why not use it? Hell, I can always use the exercise...

2 comments:

"The D" said...

On hanging your tools one word.

PEGBOARD!

Faith said...

Dude, right? I cannot WAIT to get one of those fuckers! WOOHOO!!!