Wednesday, April 08, 2009

I'm a be petty here for a moment...I know how much you all loooove that.

I saw this car on my way home from the office yesterday...

Made me wonder if they also had ones "FORSHOP" or "4CHURCH" or "4GOOUT" or whatever. I mean, WTF? What does that mean? And are you condescending much? Fuck.

Another slightly disturbing vehicle display in front of me soon after "FORWORK" Mercedes CLS500 had turned onto another road and out of my scope of interest was this one...
For the record, that is a little sticker on the tail light that says:

In Loving Memory
Sarah Beth [Something]
6-25-80 to 12-25-08
"Sarah Smiles"

Ok, first of all, they got a sticker to put on their WINDTSTAR in order to commemorate the death of a very young child that was lost. Of course, my heart initially goes out to them, because that's sad, however you wanna try to cut it.

But then...I realize that the commemoration is (a) on the back of a car that looks like it will last maybe another 10 years, if taken care of well, and (b) it has a GLARING mistake in it. One that, sure, everyone can likely make sense out of. I'm sure the child didn't die at the tender age of negative 72, of course. But you're gonna stick this on your car. Dontcha wanna make sure it's nice? And makes sense? And doesn't have any mistakes on it? Maybe? I dunno...maybe I'm just too picky. (Yeah, yeah...I know.)

Anyway, I hate stickers on cars, and I am one of those people that grieves privately, so I don't understand the sticker-on-the-back-window-of-the-car phenomena that appears to be occurring here and there lately. Am I alone in my confusion on that one?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm... Maybe Sarah was 28? 1980-2008? Just throwing it out there...

Faith said...

OMG, I didn't even consider that! Well, that makes it slightly less sad. To me, anyway.

Wow...the fact that I've forgotten an entire century prior to the one we're in now? That scares me a bit. I think those Twilight books melted my brain!

Erin said...

ROFL - I especially love this as a kid of the 80's. '83 to be exact!

Faith said...

I know...I would take it down, but it's so funny that I fucked up that badly, I figure it's more entertaining than anything else I've written all month. Hahahaha!

Donna said...

I don't like bumper stickers. And I don't even like roadside memorials, so you KNOW I don't like bumper memorials.

keepontruckin said...

I was SO CONFUSED. I could not figure out how you got negative 72 and then when I realized what you were doing I felt REALLY OLD. "omg I must be stuck in the 20th century!" These comments made me feel better... lol.

Maine said...

I've always been bothered by this. This, and people who get tattoos of someone's death date.

For one? Morbid. Fucking morbid. Get over yourself, Robert Smith.

Also? Way to give yourself a constant reminder of something tragic. Don't you EVER want to get past it? How's it going to feel when every day you look at your neck and see a picture of your dead buddy from junior high school? Just silly. And shortsighted.

Wendy said...

Ok that made me laugh! Love your blog. :)

Alisha said...

Yeah, I don't really want to memorialize my dead loved ones by putting them on my car. It seems weird.