Friday, April 10, 2009

Pondering...

I'm trying to figure out whether I should talk to my boss about a possible upper level executive administrative position that might be available at our company soon...I don't know if I will, yet. I looked up the position, and it's not posted in our intranet, so I'd need to talk to him about it if I want to get the scoop. I'm really torn.

Part of the issue being that I love working for him, and for the team he manages. It's fun, and kind of an easy way to make a living, to be perfectly honest.

But as a career admin, really the only thing we look for (besides assisting our boss and team we work for, of course) is to move up in our level of executive we assist. At least, that's what I've done as a career admin. Maybe some are different from me. The thing is, I've been at the same level of pay for the past, oh, 8 years, or so. The only way I'm going to make significantly more is to move to a higher level of executive. And making more money has always been an ongoing goal for me, along with the liking my job/having fun with my job thing.

So I'm torn...torn, torn, torn. I know that my boss would be ok if I moved on. In fact, he might even be better than ok, since I would be in a position that could bring him even more favor than he already earns just being himself and working the way he does. The position would be with a Senior VP that is above my boss's VP. (Sorry if that doesn't make any sense...but basically, it's the superior to my boss's superior. So that's a good thing, I think.) And I think we could also find a way to get him an awesome admin that he'd really like working with, if they allow him to backfill my job.

But I don't know if I should talk to him or not. What do I doooooo? Gah.

6 comments:

Erin said...

I think you have a very honest conversation w/ him - tell him (basically) what you said here. That you really like working w/ him & the team but think this is a good opp. and want his thoughts.

faithstwin said...

Ditto what Erin said. I say go for it! He's a good guy and I know will totally understand your POV on it.

Anonymous said...

Go for it! If you don't, you'll wind up "what-iffing" yourself to death about it.

You're totally allowed to want to take advantage of an advancement opportunity.

I would set up a 30 minute meeting with him early next week and talk to him about this. Then, once you know what the details of the position are, you can fully decide if you want to apply for it.

As a supervisor myself, if a member of my staff had an opportunity to do something that advances their goals, I'm going to encourage them to go for it...ultimately, I'll get something out of it, too.

Good luck!

Faith said...

I kinda just walk in and sit down whenever he has free time. We don't have such a formal relationship as that...he's much more open-door than what I'd guess some bosses might be. I've worked with the guy for 2 and a half years, for chreezy's sake! I buy him BEER for anniversaries and birthdays. I'm not going to set up a meeting just to throw a question at him like that.

Not to sound mean, or whatever. I know there are some relationships in the work place that are like that. But it generally is a much closer, more relaxed one when it comes to executives and their assistants. :)

We talked. The job isn't what I thought it was...its more of a project manager type thing, which is waaaaaay over my head, particularly at that level of management! So I'll happily stay right where I am...

Nightmare said...

You should stop worrying so much about you you you and get with the finding Nightmare a new job since he quit his crappy one last week!

Anonymous said...

Ok, seriously? Was it necessary to cop an attitude with me about your relationship with your boss?

Next time, just say thanks for the suggestion rather than being shitty about it.

--The Anon commenter from above, who was just trying to help and instead got attitude...