Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Attention Hoar Monday, in addition to other items of note

I didn't get a chance to post anything yesterday, so I thought I'd bump up Attention Hoar Monday to happening today instead. I'll post my video at the end. But first, about my weekend...

We did a lot of stuff. I wound up taking Friday off because it was so very dead in the office, and I had better things to do at home really, so that worked out well. I'll post photos of the projects I worked on once I get them uploaded. Which I'm sure everyone is very excited about.

The weekend was largely uneventful other than me working in the garage, Leo working at...well, work, and then yesterday we went to see Star Trek, which lived up to the hype, IMO. I don't think it was in any way appropriate for the couple of small children I saw there with their dad - both under the age of 7, in my estimation, but hey...he's the dumbass, not me. So I'm trying to let it go. (I hope the 5 year old had vivid nightmares that involved the red ugly monster from that planet called Delta Vega that Kirk got stranded on, and kept his father up all night with them. Fucking tool...) Other than the fellow movie-goers, all was well. I really enjoyed the movie.

We'd been contacted by some friends earlier in the day about whether we wanted to go to their house for a cookout last night, which we did. That was really nice. So, sooo good to see them, to catch up, and to relax with friends for a bit. I told them the story about the blue ball, and how the activity had started up again after a week of nothing happening with it. (Sunday, we came home from hanging out at the Moose with friends, and found it back in the front window again. It had been sitting in the master bath for 3 days without being touched or moved at all until that point. Once Jake discovered it sitting in the window, he wanted it, so we took it down. Our alternate plan was to just leave it there, for however long it stayed there.)

So we finished up at our friends' house, and headed home about 10:15. It was such a nice night out, I opened the kitchen window when I got in the house. Then I grabbed some carrot sticks from the fridge, and as I was feeling a bit wound up, I sat down to watch the end of the Laker game. Leo wanted a snack, too, so he was grabbing something when I looked into the kitchen to talk to him. Mind you, we couldn't find the blue ball anywhere when we got home. It's become a little game for me to look all over the place for it, and it was nowhere to be found this time. I think I was even saying to Leo that I wanted to look under the furniture for it, and I got stopped cold. By THIS:
Yeah, that would be the blue ball, balanced ON TOP OF the window in the kitchen. The very one that I had taken a moment to open when I got home. And I hadn't seen it there at that point in time.

This got me rolling with laughter. Leo didn't know what I was laughing so hard at, and I couldn't talk, so I got up and went over to point at the ball so he could see. He just walked out of the room with his snack. I took a couple of pictures, and sent one to the Twin so she could see, and then I took the ball down an put it on the floor. Jake found it, and we played with it for a while before Leo put it into a safe place when he went to bed. Poor Leo...he doesn't see the funny side to this little game that's being played. I don't know how to make it stop, though! I already tried! So I'm just rolling with it. I still find it absolutely hilarious.

Alright, on with my day. You know what? Since I had stuff to post about, I'll just skip Attention Hoar Monday this week...no reason to waste a good video, IMO. Next week, I'll post a new one.

6 comments:

Layla said...

I don't get parents sometime, I really don't. I still get pissed when I think about the A-hole that brought his 6 or 7 year old daughter to see GRINDHOUSE. Are you kidding me??? Yeah, big shocker when they had to leave in the middle. That poor kid. I really wanted to smack that dad upside the head and say "what is wrong with you?!"

Erin said...

You need to lock the bb up or something... put it in a box or firesafe.

Faith said...

Noooo! I like the blue ball antics!

KC Sponge said...

so I'm one of those bad parents - who not only brought my 6 year old (who begged, btw) to see Star Trek - but also breast fed my 2 week old through half of it. Elle's first movie - at 2 months - was Jackass, so I like to think I've grown as a parent. :). But really, I don't see anything wrong with letting your kids watch what they want as long as there is an open dialogue about what they are seeing - they hear worse on the playground and see worse on the news - in most cases. But, maybe I'm a little warped here -I would rather my kids grow up to be a serial
Killer - a la Dexter - then freakin Hannah Montana. To each their own ...

Faith said...

Well, serial killers do help with the overpopulation problem. But only minimally, so really, I don't know how to respond to that. (We certainly don't need any more Hannah Montana's on this planet, IMO.)

But I do have a problem with letting kids watch whatever they want. I think that's a mite reckless. I still can't sleep with an open closet door in my bedroom, thanks to my parents not caring if I watched Poltergeist when I was Elle's age. My mom rented Bachelor Party for us when I was 10 or 11...and when I watch the uncut version NOW? I cannot believe I was allowed to watch it at that age. I didn't understand fully what was going on, yeah. But still...the sexual content in that movie is not something I would consider acceptable for a 10 - 14 year old, really.

I don't see what a 6 year old could possibly have taken from Star Trek, unless they are super-advanced and really on the ball, which perhaps Elle is...I haven't had a chance to talk to her in depth much, so I'm not sure. Otherwise, I'd think she took away the fact that there were a lot of noisy spaceships flying about and running into each other at times, a lot of people dying, ooh lookit the scary and loud red monster, Spock has feelings he doesn't want to have, but he does like kissing the pretty lady, thank goodness the earth was saved, and they got away from the black hole trying to suck them in, the end. You know what I'm saying?

Of course, this is all coming from someone who doesn't and won't ever have children who just remembers her own experiences as a child for reference in these instances, so it might be worth nothing to anyone who has children and thinks that I'm wasting everyone's time with my useless and silly opinion...

KC Sponge said...

Hey Faith - I was catching up on Blue Ball stories when I caught this response to my comment . . . Yeah, I know, kinda on the slow side.

I'm sure I'm messing up 17 times a day when it comes to my child rearing . . . And btw - was there anything else to get from that movie besides what was contained in your synopsis? If so, maybe my mom shouldn't let me watch any sequels. :). Elle IS a freak for sci Fi, but not on any advanced level for sure - but is far more interested in building a space ship out of Lego's then pick out the perfect leggings (though if there were glitter blocks - she'd be all over those!). It's hard knowing what to do - and believe me, I judge the moms of my students every day and I - thank God - know nothing about being a parent to a teenager - it's just natural to have an opinion and I love reading your rants about parents - cause I finally know what is being said about me at the movie theater, the bar, and even my family dinners. :).