Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I write about 3 checks per year.

The Twin and I were chatting briefly yesterday about how she hasn't ever set up any kind of online billpay through her bank systems. (I was helping her pay a bill she owed to my company through my own account with the company on our website...I told her that I couldn't set up any auto-withdrawal for her account, it didn't seem, and I suggested she add them to her online billpay. Hence the quicky discussion.) And it got me to thinking...

I've been paying my bills online for at least 5 years now. It's so fucking easy to do, I try to get all of them lined up on there, with the exception of my car insurance and my Home Depot accounts. (The payments are processed quicker for them if I go through their websites specifically, so I just do it that way.)

Aside from construction crap from last year, I wrote probably 3 checks to different people, since I pay them so infrequently and setting them up in online billpay is a waste of time, really. But otherwise, everything - cable, mortgage, phone, electric, etc, etc... - is in my online billpay.

Why don't people take advantage of this offering from their banks, if they have it? I'm curious to know who still writes out and sends in checks for the majority of their bills, and what the reasoning behind it is. Tell me your story...

9 comments:

Layla said...

Believe it or not, I just started using billpay about 6 months ago... I continued to write checks for so long, mostly out of habbit, I'm a creature of habbit and there was something about the process, strange as I'm sure it will sound, that I actually enjoyed. The sad thing is, it doesn't really save me a whole lot of time using billpay, but mostly because I've been having issues with my wireless that make it more frustrating than it's worth. In fact, the ONLY reason I switched over was to save on stamps. There you go, that's my story.

Faith said...

Not having to buy stamps all the time has been a plus, in my world. So I nod along with ya there. I HATE going to the post office.

I pay my bills at work, so the slowness of the home computer doesn't get in the way for me, really. But that would be annoying, for sure. I finally told Leo that I'd had enough of his whining about the slowness of our computer at home. He needs to shuddup already about it! It's not a big deal to me, and on my "side" of the box, it works just fine, so I don't caaaarrree...

I'm a meanie of a wife. :P

Donna said...

I pay several of my bills online at the company's websites. I don't set up automatic payments through my bank because we don't always have sufficient cash in checking to cover everything.

Faith said...

Oh I'm with ya on that, Donna. I like being in control of when my payments are made. I don't get paid on the 15th and last day of the month, and since my paydays vary, auto-deductions just do NOT work for me.

I'm talking about online billpay, where you go in and enter the payment address info, account info, and then pay the bill whenever it's due through that...the bank sends the check for you, and all you have to do is tell them how much to send. Voila! Awesomeness!!! :D

Xavier Onassis said...

Even I, crusty old fart that I am, have converted to paying my bills online.

Mainly because sitting down, writing checks, and balancing my checkbook was a HUGE source of stress for me. So I would put it off to avoid stess. Which ultimately created more stress.

So I don't do that shit anymore. Because I don't have any outstanding checks floating around waiting to be cleared, I know that what my balance shows at the ATM is really what I have.

However, I still go in and do each one myself. That allows me to still have control over when the money leaves my account.

The only automatic payments are my rent and my monthly installment on my daughters braces. Both fixed amounts, and I keep money in a separate checking account just to cover those two payments.

That's my story.

Faith said...

Yeah, I used to have to do the auto-pay on a couple of accounts, because it was cheaper for them to be in auto-mode. I hated that. :P

faithstwin said...

Before this whole fraud mess happened I was doing just fine with auto payments coming out that most of my bills offered- storage, cable, cell phone, water bill, electricity, toll account... Since that mess happened I have had to switch everyone to the new acct info and only two places have had issues: the cell acct I have with you and the cellacct I have with my regular cell #. =P

I'm going to be switching to bill pay through my bank as soon as they let me sign onto my account again!

lyn said...

what's all this new stuff on blogger?

anywho, i had to chime in...i hate writing checks, online bill pay is the way to go, especially coming from someone that works in the finance industry. it saves everyone money (you, the consumer, the financial institution and the payee).

also something to ponder - think about how much less paper is consumed by people paying bills online. wins all around!

p.s. i am coming to KC for work next month, will fill you in on details once they are finalized. can't wait to see ya again!

flowerparts@yahoo.com said...

it's the only way to go! i've been doing it for about 3 or 4 years. even when i need to send a check to someone personally (even my MOM) i send her a check through my bank's site! ha!