Friday, June 26, 2009

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Is it so hard to believe that a girl who hasn't eaten dairy products for the past 17 years of her life has never had Ben & Jerry's ice cream? Because last night when Leo and I were at the store restocking our now-empty fridge for the end of the week, we stopped by the ice cream section. Some girlfriends of mine had been talking about some fabulously wonderful (according to them) flavors of Ben & Jerry's that they had recently, and it piqued my interest in the stuff. As I looked over the flavors and tried to decide which one to try first, Leo paced behind me saying things like, "You're opening up a window," and "I can plow right through one of those in one sitting," in a questionable tone, referring to the pints we had in front of us. I told him that's why you need to put some in a bowl, and leave the rest in the freezer. But he just kept saying, "I don't know..." I proclaimed my superiorority over him yet again, as I do not have a problem with addiction of any kind, and grabbed my choice out of the freezer. Then he reached in and grabbed his, and looked at me warily as he put it in the cart.

Hahahaha! You poor addictive types. Sucks to be you! :P

Later, after we'd finished dinner and had spent enough time pretending to not be thinking about the pints of ice cream we had in the freezer, I suggested that I was ready to try this fabled "Ben & Jerry's" stuff of legend. I thought Leo would run me down as we headed to the kitchen! (Clearly, I had been wrong all this time in thinking he enjoyed the soy ice creams we brought home as much as he had said he had.) I put some into a bowl, and headed back to the couch, and Leo did the same, and then I tried it.

Meh. It was fine. The chocolate part was really...chocolatey, I guess.

I mean, it wasn't bad, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. (I grabbed Karamel Sutra, in case you were wondering what I decided to pop my Ben & Jerry's cherry with.)

I'm kinda sad that I didn't grab a pint of the Pure Decadence we saw at Whole Foods...they have the kind made with coconut milk that I'd been wanting to try! Maybe next week...

Anyway, am I missing something? Maybe my years without dairy have made me jaded. I have to say that my enjoyment of cheeses I haven't been able to eat in forever has been through the roof over the last few months (as is evidenced by my ASS), so I don't think it's that I just don't care about all dairy. I dunno. Maybe I grabbed the wrong kind...we'll see if some other flavor makes me freak out more in the future. I've heard amazing things about a peach/raspberry cobbler flavor that I might be interested in...

What do you guys think? Am I nuts?

10 comments:

Layla said...

Personally, I've never understood the Ben & Jerry's craze either. I really enjoy a good ice cream, but there's only ever been one that I went absolutely nuts for and that's Haagan Dazs Mayan Chocolate which has been discontinued, so I guess I'm just good to have to settle for 'enjoying' ice cream instead of 'loving it'...

Faith said...

I argued that Haagan Dazs is possibly a better ice cream (because I grew up with that and Breyer's and Baskin Robbins), and Leo was having none of it! Apparently, he is very attached to the Ben & Jerry's brand. Learn something new every day, I tell ya...

Alisha said...

Well, I tend to love Haagan Dazs better than Ben and Jerry's BUT B&J has some good flavors too. Lloyd says Karamel Sutra is not the best one. He suggests Cherry Garcia or Cookie Dough, I like Dublin Mudslide and my fave, Wavy Gravy, is discontinued.

I love the Haagen Dazs Vanilla Fro Yo. It's less calories and tastes just like my grandparent's homemade ice cream I grew up with.

Midtown Miscreant said...

Ive never been wild over either brand, however......you need to try Breyers Orange / vanilla sherbert. It's the shit that killed Elvis. That means its good.
Plus its low in fat so you wont need a new zip code for your ass. Which Im sure you over exagerate.


Good save.

Faith said...

Hahahaha! Yeah, you and Alisha have very good points, MM. I should get on the sherbert and frozen yogurt train, I think. I do love me ome frozen yogurt...

m.v. said...

it's just a cult thing+clever names+hippies,except they sold it and it has nothing to do with hippies anymore. H-D is better.

Milly said...

At the end of this "weigh-in" on ice cream, it's Haagan Daz for the best ice cream out of the freezer (providing you're not making homemade). Try the toasted pear -- yummy! Even better, try it on homemade pound cake. Add a dollup of whip cream, a couple of spoonfulls of fresh strawberries and some nutmeg -- it's just organismic. MGW

Anonymous said...

Christopher Elbow has ice cream now - Sweet corn!

I've also been wanting to try the Shatto ice cream - it must be good.

Nora said...

Sigh...I am not a hippy...or part of a cult. I could care less about the clever names. But you put a pint of NY Super Fudge Chunk in front of me, and I'm a goner....

Chimpotle said...

The Shatto ice cream is decent in my book, good if you like plain flavors and doing your own thing. The Christopher Elbow ice cream and sorbet offerings are awesome if you don't mind dropping $7.50 on a pint. I kind of like paying that much because it gives you less incentive to plow through it.