Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Movie Review - Changeling

We watched "Changeling" the other night, and I thought it might be worth chatting about, since I don't really have anything else going on right now.

It starred Angelina Jolie, and included John Malkovich, although most of the other players were largely unknown to me. The story was based on a true events that occurred in 1928 - 1929. Because of that, there were a lot of times while I was watching the movie that I literally threw my hands in the air and yelled, "WHAT? What the fuck???" out of frustration and disbelief.

Leo eventually fell asleep, but just know that I don't think it had anything to do with the movie being boring...because it wasn't in the least. (He's kind of broken, is the thing, and tends to fall asleep after eating. We can't figure out why.) Also, this movie was very long...more than 2 hours long, actually...so I didn't blame him.

Aside from the length, which really was necessary I think, I can't really say there was anything wrong with the movie. Angelina Jolie looked amazing throughout, even when she was in an asylum for no fucking reason at all (lots of hands thrown in the air happened during those scenes), the story was riveting, especially considering it actually happened, and I'd somehow never heard of it even though I grew up in LA and Riverside County until I was 14. In looking at the actual events, it makes sense, I suppose...the movie makes it seem like there was a serial killing of over 15 boys at least, when in actuality, it looks like the killer was only prosecuted for the killings of 3 children. It doesn't say whether there were more that he wasn't brought to trial for, or what.

Anyway, I love a period piece, and this one was done in spades. From the cars to the costumes to the hairstyles, it was all fun to look at. It was directed by Clint Eastwood, and I think that, as per usual, he did a wonderful job.

I'd have to give this movie an A+, for sure. I highly recommend it, although I wouldn't suggest sharing it with any children under 13. It gets grisly in the middle, and I know I'd have nightmares about staying home alone if I were a kid that watched this. Just a word to the wise...

I'm also glad I didn't see it in a theater because, srsly...2.35 hours long. I'm a frequent pisser, so that wouldn't fly with me. And also, I literally could not stop myself from yelling out loud at the screen, and I doubt being in public while watching it would have stopped me from reacting that way. The 1920's was an interesting, and apparently, ridiculous time to be a woman. Fuckin' a...

1 comment:

faithstwin said...

I told Ms. Resentment about this 'review' and she said she felt the EXACT same way when she saw this movie. Only she saw it in the theater. She said when she left she was SO pissed off! Cracks me up. This is one movie I plan on watching soon...