Friday, June 05, 2009

::shaking head::

I guess that growing up as the twin of a diabetic has made me ultra-sensitive to stories I hear about diabetic shock going ignored, or about how diabetics are still, somehow, misunderstood in this day and age. After all, I've had almost 30 years of very close 2nd hand exposure to everything from insulin to blood tests to even a pretty severe case of ketoacidosis.

So seeing this story on MSN today kind of broke my heart.




No one died. No one even came close. But the fact that the child involved was accused of stealing, and sent to the principal's office and received punishment for trying to avoid a possible reaction to a dangerously low blood sugar content is sad to me. Maybe she doesn't wear a bracelette or a necklace that indicate her diabetic status. Maybe her parents need to make more of an effort to make sure the proper individuals (the principal, the kitchen crew in the cafeteria, her teachers, etc...) are aware of their daughter's condition...I dunno.

It just makes me sad. Because, yet again, diabetes is overlooked. And this child will live a lifetime dealing with that happening over and over again unless we find a cure, goddammit. From the ADA website, "There are 23.6 million children and adults in the United States, or 7.8% of the population, who have diabetes...It is estimated that 5-10% of Americans who are diagnosed with diabetes have type 1 diabetes." Over 100 million people worldwide have diabetes. We should know more about it than we do, dammit.

I'm in a foul mood this week. Here's the hoping the weekend clears it up.

1 comment:

faithstwin said...

Ahh yes, takes me back to the days when teachers would ask if I had more of my 'candy' to share with the rest of the class. I don't know if you remember but I was asked to leave the room when I needed to eat something if my sugar was low.

I felt like an idiot because of that.

Poor little girl! I love how she said in her letter "I didn't know I was stealing." She really doesn't need a medical alert thing, all she has to do is show her pump to someone. It's a pretty obvious device. However, I seriously think that lunch idiot needs a spanking! To not even ASK what the reason was that they took the fruit snacks? Ridiculous!