Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer T.V. kicking in...finally!

Look, it should be no secret to any regular reader of this blog that Leo and I have a favorite nightly activity. And that activity is to sit on our asses and watch t.v. What can I say? I was raised in a home that had no bounds when it came to television watching, and Leo was raised in a home that had so many restrictions on t.v. watching when he was a child, he had to sneak over to a neighbor's house just to watch reruns of Andy Griffith. (Referencing The Cosby Show or Growing Pains/Family Ties/Sesame Street is completely lost on him...which pisses me off a lil' bit, not gonna lie.) So I was basically conditioned to be a t.v. junky from age 3 on, while his restriction from the bewb tewb kind of set him up for being addicted to everything he was able to watch once he was allowed to watch it.


Anyway, we both like our television, is what I'm trying to say.


The transition from Spring to Summer t.v. can be brutal. All the good shows (30 Rock, Psych, My Boys) are in hiatus, and this year, there hasn't really been anything to soften the blow for us during that transition time. ANTM ("America's Next Top Model") finished its last cycle in March or April, Top Chef won't be back until Fall, I'd guess, and stupid fucking Lifetime wasn't able to secure the rights to release the new cycle for Project Runway until August, so that sucks ass.


Fortunately, I'm enjoying the replacement show on Bravo called "The Fashion Show." Leo finds Isaac Mizrahi to be uber-annoying (and let's be honest...who doesn't?), but I like the "cast" and the format, so I'm enjoying it in spite of Isaac's annoying whining and condescending commentary.


And then last night was the premier of Top Chef Masters, which is a brilliant in-between placement for the standard Top Chef cycles. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and call Hubert for the win on the entire shebang. (A) I love him, and (b) if he can make such an amazing-looking 3 course meal in a 10 x 12 dorm room (along with the help of the bathroom down the hall...) I cannot wait to see what he contributes to the Championship Round. Woohoo! (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you missed some prime foodie t.v. entertainment, and you need to Tivo a rerun, dammit. Dude put a college dorm shower head into a collander filled with pasta to cool it and then heat it back up again for his Mac & Cheese with Prawns dish, and it was the dish that basically what won the judges over. I think they might have reconsidered had they seen that he didn't just spray the water on the pasta, but actually plunged the shower head into the pasta...)


And then there's the 4th season of Kathy Griffin's "My Life on the D List" that started. I know a lot of people don't like her, but we do, so nyah.


Not to mention that a new season of one of the ghost hunter shows I watch started up last week on The Travel Channel, too. (Alisha, did you notice that? "Ghost Adventures" started back up again last week. It was an...interesting episode. It wasn't the greatest, but I'm not complaining, really!)


Anyway, Leo was insistent that I post about Hubert's mac & cheese creation via the grubby shower head, and I figured I'd take the post one step further and discuss all the t.v. we're watching right now. Not to mention the shows we're watching on DVD through Netflix...Weeds, Mad Men, just finished Alias and wondering what to do with ourselves, Leo went ahead and started us on Big Love. Which I'm not enjoying all that much, actually. The story of the father-in-law who's in charge of the polygamist compound that one of the wives came from is interesting, I suppose. But the whininess and the chaos of the 3 wives combined with Bill Paxton (I saw his BALLS in the pilot. Bill Paxton's balls. Nononononononono...) is enough to turn me off, and we're only on the 2nd disc of the 1st season. So I don't know how much longer I'm bound to last on it, to be frank.


So there ya have it. Thursday at it's finest.


Man, I'm bored...

5 comments:

Layla said...

OK, does Merlin just crack you up?? And please tell me you want to smack Reco as much as I do.

Faith said...

I love Merlin. He is so, sooo crazy, I don't know how he couldn't be loved!

Reco annoys me, but damn if that guy doesn't have a serious amount of talent. Also, I liked how last week, he was the least phased by the fact that they had to dress "regular" women. I hate sizeist designers...they make me want to cunt-punt them.

Layla said...

That's true... Daniella has been annoying the crap out of me for a while, and as annoying as Isaac can be, I was so glad when he called her out for being a sizeist. Reco does have some serious talent but is just WAAAAAAy toooo cocky.

I'm so glad we have this to hold us over until Runway is back!

Alisha said...

I actually did see that it was starting and then promptly forgot about it again! Damn, will have to try to catch it sometime but we have plans Friday this week.

Catherine VandeVelde said...

I love Ooooobear, too.

I love The D List, but always seem to miss it!